[3830] WQ5L LP 1R sprint score

Ray Rocker rocker at datasync.com
Tue Feb 10 01:55:14 EST 1998

WQ5L (@ N5FG) low power (150W) one radio (FT-1000D) sprint score:

Band  QSOs  Times
---------------------
 20    68   0000-0115  5 el @ 80', 3 el tribander @ 50'
 40   114   0115-0302  2 el @ 90'
 80    51   0303-0359  Inverted vee @ 60'
---------------------
Total 233 x 40 mults == 9,320 points

[Note: reported on 3830 as 234 x 39, my mistake]

Goal of 250 Qs not reached. That was pretty obvious from the get-go.
Had a terrible start, just couldn't things in sync. And 20 meters
was just plain weird. It was open most everywhere but the signals
weren't really strong except from W7 with N7NG the loudest. You
know you're in trouble rate-wise when the best propagation you
have is to Wyoming. I had one eight minute stretch (0029-0036)
with only a single QSO.

40 meters, as usual, was the money band. Good signals from all over.

80 meters and low power is a recipe for pain anytime, and this was
no exception. Also, this antenna is cut for phone, which didn't help.

Mults: I chased K5KA (OK) all over 80 meters just to get beat out
every time. The only other one I remember hearing but not working
was SD. Other states missed were ME, VT, RI, MD, KY(!), MS, LA, NM,
NE, KS, MN. Worked a grand total of *one* W5 station outside of Texas.

-- Ray  WQ5L  rocker at datasync.com

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com