[3830] K3MM RTTY WPX Score

Tyler Stewart k3mm at erols.com
Tue Feb 17 04:32:17 EST 1998

1998 World Wide WPX RTTY

Call used: K3MM
Location:  MD
Entry Class: Single Op, All Band, High Power
Band    QSOs   Pts  Mults
80       223   808      -
40       337  1426      -
20       480  1130      -
15       416  1132      -
10         7    17      -
-----   ----  ----  ----
Total   1463  4513   431

Claimed Score: 1945103

Most frequently worked prefix: DL1 - 30 QSO's
--------------------------------------
Time of operation: 29.8 hours
Software: RTTY by WF1B  v3.3.14 (beta), RITTY 2.27
Power Output: 1500
Club Participation: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Station:

(2) FT1000MP, (2) Alpha 87A, (2) Computers running WF1B RTTY v3.3.14
     and RITTY v2.27
80M - Diamond Loop, horiz. polar, top at 175' & Inv V at 100' - EWE RX
     antennas
40M - CC 402CD++ at 125' & Dipole at 45'
20/15/10M - (3) stacked KT34XA's at 38/72/112'
     Separately rotating and fed in any combination using a T2X & TIC
     Ring rotators and a WX0B Stackmatch with a bypass relay
     for 2 radio operation.

Comments:

Well, once again broke my old record by Sunday AM!  Activity was tremendous
with better use of the low bands than ever before.  Heard a few DX stations
out there giving big numbers, so dont know if it'll hold for the world
again. Only equipment failure was, luckily, short-lived.  One of my Alpha
87's tripped out a few times just after the start of the contest and
eventually blew a main fuse. Luckily I had a couple of spares at hand,
replaced them and as a precaution changed to another 220 outlet.
The problem recurred only once Sunday evening with a complete power trip-out,
but restarted with no apparent problem.  I think it's time for an R & R trip
to Alpha this summer. Due to lack of prep time, I opted to run a beta version
of RTTY which was already set up and ready to go on my computers.
Unfortunately it had a penchant for crashing, but was otherwise stable with
no lost data.  Ray actually fixed a lot of the problems over the weekend,
though I found out a little too late to try a newer version.

Valentines Day proved to be a big problem for low band activity the
second night, coupled with a rising solar flux which saw 15 meters stay
open both nights for very good JA openings, but not quite enough meat to
make an opening on 10.  EU openings were solid both days on 15.  Best DX
worked were YB4JIM and XUF2B who called in on the 20M AM LP openings, as
well as YB5QZ who was found CQing on 20, all with great signals.

73, Ty K3MM

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com