[3830] W4PA - ARRL DX CW

Scott Robbins srobbins at usit.net
Sun Feb 22 20:35:31 EST 1998

W4PA    SO/HP/AB UNASSISTED

2268 QSO's x 344 mults = 2,340,576 claimed score.  Hours of operation, 44.

Breakdown:

160m  37/27
80m   174/53
40m   539/73
20m   927/88
15m   565/83
10m   26/20

Eq.:  Two Ten-Tec Omni-VI Plus transceivers, two linears.  There is no
other radio more well suited for DX contesting.  Period.  Monobanders on
20 and 40, two tribanders, phased verticals on 80, inverted L 160.

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Highlights (in no particular order):
Fastest hour was Sat AM from 1200-1300Z on 20 meters for a 122 hour.
(Yeah, it's not a 160 hour like you W1's but this is Tennessee, ya know).
JA's were loud even on 80 meters.  I don't think I missed a single
multiplier that I actually heard, but there were some "easy" ones that
escaped me.  Had a 75 Q hour to Europe on 40m from 4 to 5 p.m. local in
broad daylight - THAT sure didn't happen last year!  JY9QJ answered my
CQ on three different bands.  Worked two HS0's on 20.

Lowlights:
Discovering the reason I didn't hear anything all day Saturday on 10m
was because I had the 15 meter bandpass filter installed in the coax
line of the multiplier rig.  I was relieved to find out later that it
did not open to EU on Saturday morning, as I would have missed out!
Went to 15 meters too late on Saturday AM, should have bailed from 20
earlier.  Did not repeat that mistake on Sunday morning.  The serial
port locked down in transmit a couple of times on the #2 radio just as
it did in the Sprint two weeks ago.  The good news is I remembered
what I did right before it locked and the error was repeatable.  Looks
like a software bug in the logging program.

Hope everyone had as much fun as I did!

Scott Robbins, W4PA

This e-mail message may not represent the viewpoint of my employer.
Visit the Tennessee Contest Group at <http://www.k4ro.net/tcg.html>

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com