[3830] K4RO SO LP ARRL CW DX

k4ro at k4ro.net k4ro at k4ro.net
Tue Feb 24 00:04:06 EST 1998

  ARRL DX SUMMARY SHEET    Contest Dates : 21-23-Feb-98

  Callsign Used : K4RO     Operator : K4RO    Category : SO Low Power
                                                        (Un-assisted)
  Default Exchange : 5NN TN

  Team/Club : Tennessee Contest Group

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries    IC-765/IC-761
 ______________________________________________________ TR-Log 6.21

  160CW       28          28         84        23  1/4 wl GP @ 10'
   80CW       95          91        273        47  half sloper @ 70'
   40CW      115         109        327        47  1/4 wl GP @ 10'
   20CW      400         394       1164        81  PRO-57A @ 100'
   15CW      384         377       1131        77  "
   10CW       45          45        135        24  "

 Totals     1067        1044       3114       299

    Final Score = 931,086 points.

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

Operated about 34 hours.  The WX was so beautiful Saturday that
I just had to take a little time out to enjoy some of it.  Need
to learn how to spend more time in front of the radio in these DX
marathons.  Cold grey WX outside helps.

Congrats to Wo4o posing a challenge, and for making a FB score.
Looks like KN4T continues to reign the Southeast LP category from
Florida.  Looks like my "negative gain" Mosley antenna still plays
fairly well.  I'll be dangerous if I turn that into positive gain. :-)

Could not get any good runs going except during prime hours to EU.
It was wierd.  I could bust most pileups on 1st call, but could not
generate answers to CQs.  That's the difference from here between
100W and 500W.  So it was mostly a S&P game, and run 'em whenever
possible.  I felt that after the 160 "CQ" marathon, this LP contest
really sharpened up my S&P skills.  It was a refreshing change.

Fifteen meters was really happening, and was especially hot on
Sunday.  The contest ended here in middle TN with JA's just POUNDING
in on 15 meters.  Still, my CQ's generally went unanswered.  Again,
that seems to be the main difference between LP and HP.

The low bands were in great shape Friday night, yet were unusable on
Saturday night becuase of QRM.  I should have spent more time on 40m
on Friday night, but 80m sounded too good to leave.  I felt loud on
the low bands, even with simple antennas and 100 watts.

Murphy generally stayed away; and I had a great time S&Ping all the
DX stations, and running 'em when I could.  Last year I had the flu;
this year was a great time!  Hope to see you next year, and thanks
for the QSOs.

-Kirk  K4RO

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com