[3830] KB1H M/2 ARRL DX CW

Dick Pechie kb1h at chowda.com
Tue Feb 24 17:50:59 EST 1998

                  ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: KB1H                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Two

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

      160       79      237   3.0       48
       80      511     1533   3.0       72
       40      605     1815   3.0       93
       20      909     2727   3.0       93
       15      609     1827   3.0       94
       10       56      168   3.0       29
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   2769     8307   3.0      429  =   3,563,703

Operator List: KB1H, AA1CE, NB1U, K1EBY, W3TB, K1GX

Club Affiliation: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

                             Signature -  Dick Pechie

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Dick Pechie  KB1H
               P.O. Box 246
               East Killingly, CT 06243

Having taken down every antenna we had up last year, raising the
height of one tower, putting up a third, this contest was the
first where we had most parts in place. What a joy not to have to
stay in pile-ups for long periods and also running two bands at
the same time.

We lost two important hours. One on 20M in the runtime when a PL-
259 failed. Should have installed all new connections instead of
trying to use old coax.  Second hour was on 40M when we probably
missed another bunch of QSOs. Operator unfamiliar with the
station thought he was using the Xmit footswitch but in fact was
turning the prop pitch on the 40M antenna. After 3-4 times around
the mast the coax was ripped in two!! 10PM on the tower with a
flashlight we installed a new piece of coax. Guess stop limit
switches will have to be installed. I want to be optimistic and
say these two problems prevented us from reaching 3000 QSOs.

All and all this was the first contest that we have run here at
KB1H in quite sometime where there was mostly operating and
little repair/installation. We have already started to plan on
the next improvements to fill in the holes that exist with the
present antennas. 10M tower is a definite for this year.

Dick - KB1H

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com