[3830] K2AV ARRL DX CW SOAB HP U ... Dipole Drooper's Drivel

Guy L. Olinger k2av at qsl.net
Tue Feb 24 21:27:16 EST 1998

Last contest (maybe WPX) before planned tower & beam construction
summer. Grudge match of sorts, my dipoles and wires vs. murphy & the QRN
(awful here this winter ... El Nino, I suppose). Just wanted to increase
QSO's from fall CQWW score ... 908 this ARRL a personal best in any
contest for me.

    Callsign Used : K2AV
          Operator : K2AV

         Category : SINGLE OPERATOR HIGH POWER UNASSISTED

        Team/Club : POTOMAC VALLEY RADIO CLUB

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

  160CW       37          37        111        26
   80CW       91          87        261        36
   40CW      318         316        939        64
   20CW      245         243        729        62
   15CW      194         193        579        61
   10CW       33          32         96        18

 Totals      918         908       2715       267

    Final Score = 724905 points.

Equipment:  FT1000MP, AL1200. Ants: I60/80/40m Inv El up 63 ft out 70
ft,  20/15m Dipole +27 ft,
10m Gap vertical.

Quizzicals:  No EU on 10, no JA on 15. QRN Saturday nite on, even on 20.
20 m score saved in last 2 hours with 21 new mults, including JA, VR2.
At one point all 9 contacts on 10 were LU.

New acronym around Guy's Shack:
-------------------------------

TRTLC: operator's (T)otal (L)oss of (C)ontrol of (TR) logging program
resulting in confusion, jerky qso's and apparent spastic bandswitching.
(Only happened twice this time, down from six in CQWW.) Can be easily
misdiagnosed as intermittent brain damage or frothing mouth disease...

Dipole Drooper's Drivel:
---------------------

Dipole drooper's heaven:  VR2 in the clear on 20 meters at end of
contest, going begging for contacts.

Dipole drooper's hell: 40 Meters, W1 working OZ on your frequency as you
try to copy your exchange from VK.

Dipole drooper's amazement: 100 contact run in hr & 1/4, 40M EU prime
time.

Dipole drooper's propagation duct: 10 meters all day to LU land ... who
are these guys ... shouldn't this pipe keep going up the other side to
JA?

Dipole drooper's drooper tool: scraggly little loblolly pines uprooted
in the wind by end lines tied to them.

Dipole drooper's drooper stopper: concrete blocks.

Dipole drooper's druthers: towers & beams.

... 'night, y'all.

--
Guy L. Olinger  K2AV
Apex, NC, USA