[3830] C6AJZ SO LP UA ARRL CW Score

JHFitzJr JHFitzJr at aol.com
Fri Feb 27 15:14:53 EST 1998

Station:  C6AJZ
Operator:  WI9WI
Category: Single Operator, Low Power, Unassisted

Hours     QSOS     Mults     Score
31           2031        202       1 230 786

Band   QSOS   Mults
80        142         39
40        287         36
20        710         55
15        784         55
10        108         17

Gear: IC-706, Laptop with CT 7.x, R-5 vertical for 10/15/20, Dipole Off Center
Fed for 40 and 20 (up 25 Ft), Texas Bugcatcher mounted on porch railing for
80!!!

Comments: The location on Spanish Wells (just north of Eleuthera) on the beach
was excellent. The biggest highlight was a 157 first hour, my best ever in a
CW contest. Lessee - 157 x 48 = WOW. Obviously this could not continue. It
could have been better if I could type well. AMs after 40 slowed down were
very slow - everyone is working Europe. I took a couple of naps between 8 and
10 AM local. When 15 and 20 closed to europe, the fun began with good rates in
the PM. Had the rate meter over 220 several of times, also a best for me.

80 - Was too lazy to take down my 80 meter dipole at home the day we left, so
used the Bugcatcher with 2 full sized elevated (about 5 feet) radials, hoping
to get a few mults. Ended up with more mults than 40. This band was teriffic
Friday night, very quiet. Saturday night it was almost useless with S 9 noise.
Overall much better than expected.
40 - Good both nights and AMs. Disappointing mult totals. Got few western
mults - maybe due to too high angle radiation from low dipole. Only band I
actively S&Pd for mults. I like to sleep too much, so missed out on QSO totals
here.
20/15 - Excellent rates in the PMs, after US quits working Europe. The much
maligned R-5 vertical (an easily portable antenna) works well on these bands
at a flat location. At times the dipole was better on 20 due to quieter
receiving.
10 - Mostly weak sigs. Somewhat disappointing. Too close to the US to get much
other than western mults. (Only 200 miles from Miami)

Thanks to all for the Qs!! Worked as WI9WI/C6A outside the test for about 700
CW QSOs, mostly on 17 and 30 meters. QSLs for both to WI9WI.

73 Jim WI9WI

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com