[3830] '97 Stew Perry KQ2M SO

Robert L. Shohet kq2m at eci.com
Sun Jan 11 12:13:33 EST 1998

237 Qso's x ?? Pts. (Don't have grid square calcs.)

Operated 5 3/4 hours and had fun.  REALLY LIKE sending grid squares.
Challenging to copy and very interesting to see where the station you
are working is actually located.

I was startled to hear GM3POI when I turned on the radio at 1930Z to
check my antenna.  He was already 579!  In fact when I started operating
at 20:29Z he was the ONLY station that I was hearing!  Later I heard
XQ8ABF really well but he was too intent on working an EU stn.  Amazed
to hear EU answering CQ's of W6 and W7 stations and as early as 0330!
Heard the T8 station in the morning but nothing else.  Unfortunately I
did not stay on after 0445z and apparently missed some exceptional
propagation to the Pacific.

Have not yet figured out the relationship between 160 contests and
snowstorms here in CT.  In 1995, 1996 AND 1997 we have had a snowstorm
on Friday or Saturday of the ARRL 160.  I was therefore really amazed
that snow would AGAIN plague the next 160 contest - Stew Perry.
Unfortunately even with insulated wire on my antennas and my beverages,
snow static ultimately drives me off the air.

It is currently 45 degrees but I KNOW it will snow in two weekends when
we have the CQ 160!

Bob KQ2M

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com