[3830] KK1L NAQP SSB...

Ronald D Rossi rrossi at btv.ibm.com
Mon Jan 19 13:59:04 EST 1998

Sudafed, lemon honey tea, and Riccola were my crutches. All failed me in some
way throughout the contest (Well it's really me that failed, but it seems the
modern world runs on blame!). Drowsy, hoarse, tea is a diuretic ( a couple
full coffee cans), .... I was out of sorts enough to actually get a little
upset with some southerners (they called me Yankee, so I'm just assuming :-})
on 75m, 3.853 to be exact. Not too pissy with them, but WAY more than I should
have been.

I skipped right over 3.790 to 3.800 when S&P, so I missed W9WI there (at
least). I am pretty clueless about 1.8, so I worked and called most anywhere
within privilege.

I beat my previous best, but it felt like I should have been able to do much
better. I had a great time. The VT record gets to stand at least another 8
months!

    Callsign Used : KK1L
         Operator : KK1L

         Category : SO

  160SSB      18          18         18      11       Time on:
   80SSB     125         125        125      38       18:00 - 00:15 = 06:15
   40SSB      69          68         68      30       01:01 - 02:10 = 01:09
   20SSB     224         222        222      44       02:54 - 05:30 = 02:36
   15SSB     114         114        114      28                       -----
   10SSB       8           8          8       5                       10:00

 Totals      558         555        555     156

    Final Score = 86580 points.

Calling on 160m actually got me some action. Given the difficulty of most of
those Qs I was pleasantly surprised. Could not work Oregon right after N1MEZ,
another Vermonter did. I used the 80m dipole at 40' this time (not shorted at
the base as a T), and he was using a Carolina Windom at 60'.

40m really STB for some reason. It is usually much better for me. I took the
02:00 hour off to wait for better cdx. There were better when I returned. I
asked around a bit about 40m and most thought cdx were pretty poor.

I was able to move a pretty well equiped local, N1MEZ, through all 6 for the
VT sweep for a change.

--
73 de KK1L...ron (rrossi at btv.ibm.com) <><
Ron Rossi H/P SRAM Engineering -- IBM Microelectronics

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com