[3830] CQ160 CW Score from VE3ZT

Paul Hicks ve3bbh at interlog.com
Mon Jan 26 15:44:53 EST 1998

                              CQ 160 SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 24-Jan-98, 25-Jan-98

    Callsign Used : VE3ZT
         Operator : VE3ZT

         Category : Single Operator/Low Power (120 watts)

 Default Exchange : 599 ON

             Name : Paul Hicks
          Address : 41 Stoneton Drive
   City/State/Zip : Scaraborough, Ont M1H 2P6
          Country : Canada

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

  160CW      365         361       1766      46         5

 Totals      365         361       1766      46         5

    Final Score = 90,066 points.

CQ = 208 (57%)  S&P = 157 (43%)

Soapbox
Running 120 Watts and an inverted-vee (Alpha Delta DX-LB) at 30 feet makes
it tough getting a run when calling CQ. Spent more than half my contest time
in S&P mode and learning more about how to use TRLog--sure like that
program! Didn't hear much DX outside NA from here, did hear a ZK1 calling CQ
with no takers for a while, though. When I came across a pileup calling DX,
I just kept tuning up the band and didn't waste my time.

Couldn't work EA8BH until Saturday night, I think he had a lot of QRM and/or
QRN on his end cuz even when he/me was in the clear, he didn't hear me.

I sure got tired of coming across the same guys parked on the same
frequencies for 2 days/nights--even with the bandmap it's tedious starting
at the bottom end and working up the band looking for a station you haven't
worked... Conditions here seemed good (don't know the band well yet) but it
seemed like a long contest for me, keeping in mind the number of contacts I
had to chase down, but it's all good experience. Is the DX window 1830-1840?
Couldn't tell sometimes, what with all the W/VEs calling CQ.

73, VE3ZT

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com