[3830] N2IC (/0) IARU SO CW High Power

Steven London smlondon at lucent.com
Mon Jul 13 12:27:40 EDT 1998

N2IC (/0) - IARU Single-Op High Power CW

Band     QSO's    Zones   HQ

160         17             7            2
 80          72           16            3
 40        373           34         14
 20        795           40         18
 15        494           33         15
 10          49           15           3

Total   1800         145         57    ------->  1,393,800 points

Best score for me ever in this contest, but much less competitive with
the east coast than usual.  Poor USA activity !

160 - Not as noisy as it can be during the summer.  HC8A and KL7Y were
the only DX.
80 - Like 160, quieter than usual.  Nice to work VK2AYD, KH2D, LU1VZ and
LT1F, who all had good signals through the QRN.
40 - Mediocre S&P EU through the static crashes.  Super JA opening from
0900Z-1200Z - might be the loudest I have ever heard JA.  Nice to work
XUF2B and 9V1YC.
20 - Absorption !  This is probably why I could not stay competitive
with the east coast.  The nighttime over-the-pole opening only lasted
from 0400Z-0530Z.
15 - Great EU opening in the morning, then a sick band for the rest of
the contest.  No real JA runs - just a few worked at 2200Z and 0500Z.
10 - Nice to hear the band open all day to Carrib and SA.  Good Pacific
opening to VK, ZL, KH8, KH6.  KL7Y was a nice bonus.  No JA or EU heard.

Thanks to KL7Y for 6 bands, VK2AYD for 10-80 and VX4YU 10-80 in 3
minutes.

Congrats to K5ZD, W4AN and K1TO for their super showings !

73,
Steve, N2IC/0

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com