[3830] LA9HW - WPX CW SB20m HP/UnAss

Jan Almedal janalme at online.no
Mon Jun 1 03:55:47 EDT 1998

                 CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: LA9HW                    Country:  Norway
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator Single Band 20m
                                               High Power / Unassisted

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80        0        0   0.0        0
       40        0        0   0.0        0
       20     1360     2902   2.1      579
       15        0        0   0.0        0
       10        0        0   0.0        0
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   1360     2902   2.1      579  =   1,680,258

All reports sent were 599.

Equipment Description:  FT-1000MP (+PA, 1kW), 205CAS

                        Without memory keyer!!!!!
                        (I must be insane. I have called CQ, by hand,
                        a zillion times!)

Comments:

Dispite the coronal mass ejection on Friday, and high K index, pretty good
condx, especially Sunday evening. Opening into JA and K most of the day.
And Europe as a saver when everything else fails. With a 5 element monobander,
and 1kW, I have a problem with people calling me, but failing to copy them
(due
to QRM). Sorry to all of you who didn't come through. I am working on my
receiving skills.

My goal for the weekend was to set a new LA high score record. In addition,
I wanted to do as I did in the SSB part, beat (by points) the All Band record.
The 20m record in LA was 435k points, and I felt that would be piece of cake.
The all Band record was 1,05 mill points, and with poor condxs predicted, I
felt that would be difficult. Was I wrong! The 20m record was mine before
the half of the contest, and with the good openings on Sunday afternoon/
evening, the All Band score was beaten by more than 50 per cent! Probably
the All Band score is raised this year, but anyhow!

I will be on holiday (in the US) during Scandinavian Activity Contest,
so next big operation from here will be CQ DX SSB, see you all (still single
band 20m for some time)!
73 de
Jan / LA9HW

- - -