[3830] NN5AA - WPX CW - SO/HP/SB 10M

Richard L. King k5na at bga.com
Tue Jun 2 16:07:51 EDT 1998

                CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: NN5AA (K5NA op.)  Country: Texas, USA
      Mode: CW                Category: Single Operator - High Power
                                        Single Band 10 Meters

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80        0        0   0.0        0
       40        0        0   0.0        0
       20        0        0   0.0        0
       15        0        0   0.0        0
       10      422      320   0.8      215
     --------------------------------------

     Totals    422      320   0.8      215  =   68,800

Time on: 30 Hours

Equipment Description: IC765 => AL1500 => TH7DXX @ 82 ft

Club Affiliation: Central Texas DX & Contest Club

                             Signature __  Richard L. King  __

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Richard L. King - K5NA  (NN5AA)
               17726 FM 973 North
               Manor, TX 78653

COMMENTS:

I caught up with all my QST and CQ reading, plus reading all the weekend's
newspaper while pushing the F1 button. Plus I got plenty of sleep and
didn't miss any of the Bulls/Pacers NBA playoff games. Ten meters is just
plain SLOW!!!

However, I did improve on last year's 10 meter score by factor of two.
There was a crooked path European opening on both days, but only a few
stations were heard or worked. And on both days I heard the same few
stations. I managed to work 9H0A, DL6FBL, IH9/OK5DX, S530, and TK5NN in
Europe and a few EA8s in Africa. I heard, but didn't work, EA4ML and P30A.
There were lots of South Americans, some VK/ZLs, and a smattering of South
Pacific that I worked but no North Pacific or JAs.

The odd thing is that I felt that the band was open all day both weekends
between Texas and W8/W9 land but there were very few stations on from there
to work. I think a lot of folks shy away from 10 meters because of zero
point QSOs but that situation will change next year. I am looking forward
to making QSOs that will actually be of value in the WPX next year. Maybe
someday the CQWW people will take notice and follow suit.

73, Richard

K5NA at BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com