[3830] WO1N WPX-CW M/S + Story

KEN CARUSO Ken_Caruso at compuserve.com
Mon Jun 8 01:22:07 EDT 1998

      Call: WO1N                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Single

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160       10        8   0.8        6
       80       27       74   2.7       13
       40       73      238   3.3       56
       20      135      219   1.6      107
       15       23       28   1.2       13
       10        0        0   0.0        0
     --------------------------------------
     Totals    268      567   2.1      195  =   110,565

Operator List: NF1A, WO1N

Equipment Description: FT1000D, R7, 160-40M trap dipole

Club Affiliation: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

 Story:

 This was a small effort to give deserving YCCC's a place to operate, even
 if only for a short while. Art, NF1A showed up and put in about 3 hrs
 Friday night. Conditions weren't bad at the start but by the time I
 pulled the plug Friday night I could tell Saturday was going to be ugly.

 Early Sat. morning I pulled a real boner. I decided to upgrade to CT
V9.37.
 Very ugly. As soon as I hit a key to send a message (F1 through F7), the
 CW would lock-up, sending a continous tone. This is using the parallel
port
 for keying on a laptop. I have now encountered this same problem on two
 different laptops, using the parallel port/DOS 6.2/CT V9.37. I was able to
 rollback to V9.27 where the keying works fine. I didn't notice all my
 time/dates got munged until I was preparing the log for submittal.
 Fortunately I didn't make a lot of Q's and it was fixed up via Alt-F.

 Just as I rolled back to V9.27 I got a visit from K1MRI, his first
exposure
 to an HF contest. I spent about an hr with him S&Ping while explaining
what
 I was doing/hearing etc. He didn't operate, but I think we might have a
 future contester here.

 Sat. was a bust with T-ball games, yard work and in-law visits. I'd grab
 a few q's here and there as I would pass through the shack.
 Sunday wasn't much better, but fortunately the weather took a major down
 turn in the Northeast. I was able to work the last few hours since I
 couldn't do the yardwork thing anymore (breaks my heart....not). The bands
 seemed to open up a bit better, also. As always, good fun.

 Ken
 WO1N

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com