[3830] KK1L ARRL DX SSB SOHP

Ronald D Rossi rrossi at btv.ibm.com
Tue Mar 10 10:55:42 EST 1998

    Callsign Used : KK1L
         Operator : KK1L

         Category : SO HP Unassisted

 Default Exchange : 59 VT

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

   80SSB      76          76        228        42
   40SSB     111         111        333        52
   20SSB     377         376       1128        74
   15SSB     239         235        705        63
   10SSB      53          52        156        18

 Totals      856         850       2550       249

    Final Score = 634950 points.

 29 hours 35 minutes operating time.

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

 This was my first ARRL DX and my first with a beam of any kind and
 my third ever. Man, what a difference the beam makes! I had a great
 time working stations especially my first ever STRING of JA's. I
 was able to find a spot on 20m to run for about 1.5 hours. The rest
 was all S&P despite several unsuccesful attempts to get anything more
 than a few answers to my CQs.

 Some highlights:
  Scoring over 5 times better than last year!  A real nice surprise.
  A perfect tail-end in a large PJ9JT pile up on 15m.
  A short but nice converstation with KH6BZF after finishing his sweep
    with VT on 15m.
  All the comments about being "the last state" and hearing the excitement in
    the operators voices. I'll be getting some QSLs from this contest for sure.
  Working my first JA's on 40m and working 22 of them on 15m and 20m in
    1/2 hour of S&P!
  V73UX heard me pretty well in the crowd.
  KiLOWATT KiLOWATT ONE LIMA really works nice. One station had trouble
    with the KK, but it worked slick otherwise.

I need to get more sleep before the contest next year. I found it very hard to
keep motivated as the event wore on. I was out of the chair for just over 9
hours for some non contest events that I needed to attend. My head kept
telling me "go to sleep you jerk"! I didn't want to give in with all the time
I had to spend out out of the chair, but no sleep would make me useless later
on. I slept 4 hours Friday night, and almost 5 Saturday.

I have been incrementally upgrading my station as possible. I am always doing
a little something around the shack. I will be adding a rotatable dipole for
40m to my A3S. It's not up very high, so I'm not expecting miracles. I am
looking forward to comparing it to the Butternut vertical I have been using.
It's no superstation, but I don't expect it to drive like one either. You
can't have too many antennas. I still can hardly talk outside the state on
160m! This needs some focus.

 I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations established
 for amateur radio in my country.  My report is correct and true to the best
 of my knowledge.  I agree to be bound by the decisions of the Awards
Committee.