[3830] KH8/N5OLS 98 CQWW CW SOABHP

Don Barclay n5ols@samoatelco.com
Tue Dec 1 10:44:36 EST 1998

                   CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  1998

      Call: KH8/N5OLS                Country:  American Samoa (090)
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator High Power

      160        0        0     0.00      0       0
       80      118      340     2.88     19      21
       40      454     1334     2.94     32      59
       20      419     1221     2.91     33      76
       15      634     1850     2.92     35      73
       10      833     2457     2.95     33      61

     Totals   2458     7202     2.93    152     290  =>  3,183,284

Equipment Description: )  1 Mosley Pro67C @ 72'
                          1 80m inverted vee, 68'
                          1 160m inverted "L", no radials, no op.
                          1 TS-950SDX, thanks AH8LG
                          1 Alpha 91B, thanks to my wife.  She
                            doesn't know she bought it for me,
                            but will find out tonight....

Club Affiliation: North Texas Contest Club

Conditions were not too bad, but the 10 meter long-path never
really got cranking.  To Europe, that is.  I heard quite a few
east coast U.S. at about 3:00 a.m. local, as well as a lot of
the zone 8 guys.  I couldn't break the EU pileups, though.  20
was goofy, with lots of skewed path and scatter, and very limited
openings to the U.S.  Still, it was fun.  I slept the first
hour of the contest, and would have probably slept the first
5 or 6 if my buddy hadn't come over and woke me up.  Been up
for 36 hours BEFORE the contest started, so I thought I'd take
a short nap before, ha.  Ended up having to take another nap
about 00z on the next day, and after about five hours managed
to stay up.  The CW was all beginning to sound like the Russian
alphabet, and coffee wasn't helping.  Thanks to N6ZZ for the
first zone 2 q's that I've ever made from KH8 in a contest.
Usually, the guys that operate from there find it advantageous
to be on whatever band is not open to KH8.  JT1A was also very
accessible, as was A61AJ and 8Q7DV.  Nice to get those tough
zones.  5V7A was pretty much omnipresent, and once again I had
good copy on their 10m station, on one path or another, for
the entire contest.  If I could have just worked some VK6's....

Congrat's to all you big scorers, see ya next time,

73, Don