[3830] 4O6A CQWW 98 SSB - 160/10m scores and story

SKY SAT Communications skysat at cg.yu
Tue Nov 10 15:06:35 EST 1998

CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1998

Call: 4O6A (op.YU1AO )   Country: Yugoslavia

Mode: SSB Category: Single Operator Single Band 160m

BAND QSO QSO PTS PTS/QSO ZONES COUNTRIES

160 670 754 1.13 11 73

Totals 670 754 1.13 11 73 => 63,336

CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1998

Call: 4O6A ( op.YT6A ) Country: Yugoslavia

Mode: SSB Category: Single Operator Single Band 10m

BAND QSO QSO PTS PTS/QSO ZONES COUNTRIES

10 1361 2909 2.14 35 147

Totals 1361 2909 2.14 35 147 => 529,438

4O6A CQ WW PHONE 98

(160):

First, we have dreams.

Then, we try to make peace with dreams and real plans.

Sooner we decide to put dreams into plans, the plans look unreal. That's why
we usually wait some time before talking plans. Talking, not planning yet.
Finaly, when the planning starts, we find it is only a day or two before
contest will start.

Our Topband dream was: 3 ele wire beam, switchable, atop 70m (230 feet) TV
tower, on the very top of Mt. Lovcen, 1770m/asl, plus some beverages, plus
Cohn filter, plus crystal filters for several fqs, plus permanent activity
for possible skeds...

Our (realistic) plan was: single dipole, high on the tower, fed by 7/8"
Ceflex, plus small receiving loop.

And this is what happened:

Getting on the mountain top, we found that TV tower was not available. TV
company had their reasons, neglecting the importance of an international
contest with whole world taking part...

As the contestpedition was primary for the sake of YT6A's good 10m run with
M2 10M7XR yagi, and topband was considered as "excellent use of 10m station
overnight", we put our 160m dipole on a 20ft mast. At least, it was resonant
antenna, so Alpha 91b would loaf as it was expected...

Should I say how great was my motivation to operate a night band on a high
wild mountain with an antenna so promissing?

Naturally, I started contest S&Ping, with a callsign that made some people
troubles. Four Oscar Six Alpha was not recognizible in cty.dat file by some
users. Well, another addition to my motivation...

After some time, I realised that it was not so difficult to get through,
even with so low dipole, and so intriguing callsign. And I started calling
CQ. To my surprise, people started calling me back.. SU2MT called me for
double mpl, and I discovered it was Jose CT1BOH operating from Egypt. I had
many multipliers coming on my CQ: TK5BF, GU2FRO, 9H3WD, EA9EA, JY9QJ, 4X0F,
N2RM, EA8AH, P3A, OY9JD... The irony is that I both like it, and am little
worried about it. Was it Slim, or a real one? Still, had a fun, and made
some 60k points with low dipole, a score acceptable for multi/multi.

(10):

10M7XR by M2 didnot want to tune in the band, and took us hours of checking,
with dismantling the driver, replacing it with another one, but still
nothing. It was on saturday when 4N6DR noticed that one director element has
a wierd length. It was longer. Soon after, YT6A was happy with the patern,
and kissed Dragan for the discovery.

I guess, it was one of dominant signals from EU. 7 elements on top of 1750m
mountain peak, surrounded by sea and small hills. Too bad band was not as it
was the day b4 the test. That was when KC1XX was equaly loud on his low yagi
and 8x4 stack.

73 de Kele, YU1AO, N2KAB

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com