[3830] WP2Z (W7GG OPR) SSCW SCORE AND STORY

Bob Wruble ai7b at teleport.com
Fri Nov 13 06:45:14 EST 1998

        1998 CW SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 07-Nov-98, 08-Nov-98, 09-Nov-98

    Callsign Used : WP2Z (W7GG Opr) SO/LP
          Exchange: NR WP2Z 53 VI

             Name : Bob Wruble, W7GG
Address : 13031 SW Meadow Ln.
   City/State/Zip : Culver, OR  97734
          Country : USA

   80CW    33          32         64       0  80/160 trap dipole at 20'
   40CW   338         337        674      10  2el Cush at 20' fixed USA.
   20CW   105         105        210       5  A3S Trib at 10' fixed USA.
   15CW   203         203        406       3     "             "
   10CW   334         334        668      60     "             "

 Totals     1013        1011       2022      78

 Final Score = 157,716 points.
 Hours of operation = 21.5

 COMMENTS:  Had a goal of 1300+ Q's and mebbe a shot at K7JA's
 LP record from WP2.  After the first two hours on 10m I thot
 it would all be possible.  Two 100+ Qso hours on 10m had me
 pumped for a great effort.  In the end records and fun rapidly
 decreased.  As 10m went away I moved to 15m assuming the run
 would continue.  Surprise!!  The good runs were over for the
 rest of the contest!

 Once again it turned into a CQ fest just like at home in Oregon!
 A real bummer!   I could not believe how bad it got.  I even took
 time off in the middle of the first evening thinking I would
 save it for 10m on Sat.  That strategy turned out bad as I fell
 further and further behind as the hours drug on.  Wound up with
 a little over a thousand Qso's and no sweep thanks for the lack of Nl.

 In the end something was against me in this effort.  Either my
 operating skills, the station (some antennas were broken) or weird
 propagation.  On previous operating trips to the Carib. propagation
 never seemed to be a big factor, however in those tests DX was the
 primary goal.

 Oh well, as always there were moments of great fun, even in
 this one but overall a big disappointment!  If I had it to do it over
 again I would have used the amplifier, at least a few more Q's would
 have been possible.
 I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations
 established for amateur radio in my country.  My report is correct
 and true to the best of my knowledge.  I agree to be bound by the
 decisions of the Awards Committee.