[3830] K6LA SS Phone S/O L/P

KWIDELITZ at delphi.com KWIDELITZ at delphi.com
Mon Nov 23 21:04:59 EST 1998

                                 ARRL NOVEMBER SWEEPSTAKES

             Call used: K6LA
             Location: LAX
             Category: Single Op All Band
             Mode: PHONE
             Power: 150W
             Callsign of Operator: K6LA

             Exchanged Information: nr A K6LA 65 LAX

             Hours of Operation: 23:58

             band      QSOs     points
             160          0          0
              80         60        120
              40        140        280
              20        298        596
              15        584       1168
              10        242        484
             TOTAL     1324       2648   X   79 multipliers  =  209,192

             Club or Team Name: SCCC

             Comments:

        I  lost a shot at the top 10 in the first hour and last  hour  of
        the  contest.  For SS CW, I started on 15 and S&P'd  on  10.  For
        Phone,  I started on 10 under the theory that there are  lots  of
        guys you can only work on 10. I should have started on 15, as  my
        1st  hour was only a 74, half on 10 and half on 15. My  2nd  hour
        was a 121 with only 7 on 10 meters.

        The last hour I lost my concentration and desire and got lazy and
        only  made  19  QSO's. I didn't want to go to  40  meters,  cause
        Saturday night it was so noisy and so unproductive that I  didn't
        want to leave 20. I should have as 40 was much better Sunday than
        Saturday.

        I noticed the quieting on 10/15/20 all at once at 1620 Sunday.  I
        was  so amazed at the sudden quietness that I checked  the  solar
        conditions  via  the WWW on the second computer. It  didn't  show
        anything,  so  I couldn't be sure what caused the change  in  the
        bands. Though things were quiet, it didn't slow the rate down too
        too  much, as I had a 63 hour at 1500, a 48 hour during 1600  and
        it improved from there to the 60's and 70's until 2300.

        One  of  the more memorable experiences was giving my  1st  sweep
        from LAX. Yup, after a QSO Sunday afternoon, a guy thanked me for
        giving  him the sweep. I couldn't believe it so I asked "LAX  was
        your  last section?" He was really excited and confirmed LAX  was
        last. I gave out a bunch of sweeps from VY1JA last year in  phone
        SS. I never expected to do it from LAX. My own sweep was easy with
        3 NLs in the log after nary a one in CW

        It  looks like I won the SCCC W6UQF Memorial Trophy for  Combined
        CW & Phone Sweepstakes, Low Power. I think having done that, I'll
        go  back to high power next year. Higher rates are where the  fun
        is.

73. Ken, K6LA - Ken Six Los Angeles, KWIDELITZ at DELPHI.COM

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com