[3830] VE7SZ (VE7NTT op) 1998 SS SSB S/O HP

Gary Caldwell ve7ntt at bc.sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 24 18:19:20 EST 1998

1998 Sweepstakes SSB

VE7SZ (VE7NTT op)      Single Op, High Power

2,163 QSOs x 79  =  341,754

     Many thanks to Allan, VE7SZ, for the use of his station and FB
antenna set-up.

     This was my first use of the WriteLog contesting software--it
seemed to perform aok.

     Conditions in VE7 were pretty good on Saturday, although 40 did its
usual thing and went long and to the south at 04Z, effectively killing
my rate for the evening.  75M was also pretty much a non-factor, even
with the 2el yagi at 150 feet.  Not to mention an hour's worth of S9
rain static around 04-05Z.

     Twenty opened up on Sunday morning with vengence with a 101 hour at
15Z, and a listen to both 15 and 10 on the second radio showed both
bands to be full of signals. However, the flare that hit, as I
understand it, during the 15Z hour, effectively made the rest of the day
a washout.  I tried many times during the day to get things going on
ten, and had no real success on the band until 2030Z.  Averaged about 75
per hour the rest of Sunday, down from my last Phone SS two years ago
when it was 100/hr all day long.

     Congrats to VE5MX at VE6JY on a great number from way north in
Alberta!

     Thanks to all for the QSOs.

73,

Gary  VE7NTT