[3830] W6XR ARRL SS CW SOHP

Natan Huffman force12e at lightlink.com
Wed Nov 25 16:11:00 EST 1998

Subject: W6XR SOHP ARRL SS CW WNY

1998 W6XR/2 ARRL SS CW

Results:

SOHP 1024 QSOs

77 Sections

17.5 hours

155,552 points

Section WNY

Club Affiliation: FRANKFORD RADIO CLUB

COMMENTARY

Wow! What a ride! The purveyors of propagation anomalies sure had a testy
time during the SS weekend. Bright lights in the northern sky, signals born
in fish tanks, VY1A coming through on 20 when no-one else was audible.
Strange happenings methinks! Other oddities---not a person asking me to QRS,
not a single MAR or NFLD, outrageous frequency fights, and wall to wall SS’
rs on the band. All of this, yet a real blast.

Contest started real slow as I did not make a Q until 8 minutes into the
fray, and it was with a local, a few miles away. Only good run rate was on
15 meters on Sat. night. Was unable to sustain a rate over 80 anytime on
Sunday as it was a dog-fight from here punctuated with times of gross
inactivity. The rates were pretty good at the end, but not good enough to
close in on the section leaders.

Since most everything that could break did so in the CQWW PH, nothing broke
this weekend. Mr. Alphy came home after a very quick sojourn to the wilds of
Alpha Power in Colorado with new parts and a new attitude.

My goals were to make 1000 Qs and to stay in the chair for 20 hours! Made
the QSO challenge, but was unable to muster up enough endurance to reach the
second goal. However, I was delighted to operate as many hours as I did as
this just may mean I will once again be single op material in the near
future. Have never had so much fun. nor was I ever so grateful to be able
just to contest again!

73 to all. Won’t do SSPH, to "save´myself for CQWW CW the end of the month.

Natan, W6XR/2

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com