[3830] KP4Y CQWW98 SOLP

kp4zl578 kp4zl578 at prtc.net
Mon Nov 30 04:32:31 EST 1998

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: KP4Y                     Country:  Puerto Rico
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator

      160            0           0         0.00      0        0     NIL
       80             0           0         0.00      0        0     NIL
       40           14         35         2.50      6       11   R5
w/tuner(Hi,Hi)
       20           690     1446      2.10     22      43   R5
       15          244        521      2.14     16      28   R5(swr 1.5:1)
       10         1092      2418     2.21     23      61   R5(:-)

     Totals   2040     4420     2.17     67     143  =>  928,200

All reports sent were 599 8, unless otherwise noted.
GOALS:1500+Qs and 1M Pts
STRONGEST SIGS:W9JA(Big sig),K3LR & W4MYA
GREAT DX:VR98,TZ,JA pileup on 10m,A61(Rich?)
Equipment Description:
Rig:KNWD TS-450s
ANT:R5(vertical)
Comments:
Still having my antennas down :-(! but i didn't lost the opportunity to
participate in my FIRST EVER CQWW so i try it with my vertical.Lack of
antennas on the low bands affected my score(2000+ qso with only
900k :-().During the contest i had some kind of problem with my
equipment,sometimes i was perfect 1:1 with a MFJ using my ts-450
and then my power drops and swr raised, that happened on all bands,
(yeah i know something break in my R5)the mystery is that i switch
to a yaesu ft-840 and i not longer have the problem(i used the knwd during
contest because it has bandpass filter).Any idea?, i will e-mail tech
support at kenwood to see if they have the answer.Thanks
fer the patient in the pileups, i still learning a lot of things in
contesting,and congratulations to the real contesters for big score.

Club Affiliation: PUERTO RICO CONTEST CLUB

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Roberto Vargas     KP4Y
               Calle Quito 984 Las Americas
               SAN JUAN, PR 00921