[3830] N1RJF SOAPLP CWWW CW

matwood at sover.net matwood at sover.net
Mon Nov 30 17:23:03 EST 1998

CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  1998

      Call: N1RJF (at WA1RR)         Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator / Low Power

      160        8       19     2.38      6       7
       80       26       75     2.88      5      18
       40      147      415     2.82     16      56
       20      258      743     2.88     24      56
       15      664     1944     2.93     29      89
       10       96      265     2.76     17      48

     Totals   1199     3461     2.89     97     274  =>  1,284,031

Equipment:

Knwd TS-440

Aluminum / Wires:

TH3-Jr @ 110' (10, 15, 20)
4 EL 20M Mono @ 100' (Fixed on EU)
5 EL 15M Mono @ 65' (Rotatable)
40 M Curtain @ 60' (Toward EU)
80M Dipole @ 60' (Toward EU)
160M Dipole (apex) @ 100' Toward EU
1000' Beverage Receive for 160

Realized that there is alot more to contesting when you can rotate the
antennas!!

  This is my first Single Op effort from the CTRI Contest Group (WA1RR)
shack in CT.  Luckily, Murphy only played the first night:  when I arrived
at the station, I set up and realized that someone had taken the tuner from
its place.  Normally not a problem since the antennas are all tuned and a
tuner would not be necessary if this was a SSB test.  As all of the
antennas (save for the 20M and 15M monos are tuned for SSB, they were
really unuseable on the low end of the bands.  I worked the best I could
with what I had and retired at 11PM with 88 contacts in the log.  Next
morning I started at 5'ish on the high bands (around 11AM a tuner arrived
 - THANKS KEVIN!!!!!).

I wound up operating Low Power and put about 30 hours into the contest.
 Spent most of my time CQ'ing (maybe 75%) and the rest mult hunting.  The
things I would do different next year are operate High Power, spend more
time on 15M and spend more time chasing mults.

Learned that we have no good antennas for 10M (the Tri-bander was not very
effective) or 40M (the 1/2 curtain gives a great signal into EU but with no
F/B like a beam I hear everything, so EU gets covered over by Stateside /
VE).  But, the 15 and 20M mono-banders kick butt!!

Anyway, I had a lot of fun. Kudos to the CTRI gang for putting together a
great station.

Best DX:  5N, 5R, 5X, 5V, TZ, VK9L, JY9 (40M), EL, EZ, JW, GD, TA, 3A,

Matt Atwood, N1RJF
Strafford, VT 05072

Visit the CTRI web site www.99main.com/~ctri to see the station.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com