[3830] N7IP WW SSB M/S (sorta long)

David Jones kk7gw at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 26 10:09:36 EST 1998

                               CQ WW SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 24-Oct-98, 25-Oct-98

    Callsign Used : N7IP
        Operators : KK7GW, KC7DZZ

         Category : Multi/Single

 Default Exchange : 59 03

        Team/Club : 50% Western Washington DX Club

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries   Zones

  160SSB       3           3          4         2         1
   80SSB      14          14         26         4         4
   40SSB       5           5          9         4         4
   20SSB      51          49        123        24        13
   15SSB      66          66        172        19        17
   10SSB      33          32         83        15        13

 Totals      172         169        417        68        52

    Final Score = 50040 points.

    Hours of operation: 25.5
    Power out: 100 watts

    Equipment: Kenwood TS-530, Timewave DSP-9
    Antennas: 20m dipole in a "V", ends at 25', center at 18'.
              40m dipole at 13'

    Comments: This was the inaugural contest of the Juanita Contesting
Club, N7IP.  I like the call pretty well, but does anyone have a good
phontic for "I"?  India and Italy kept giving DX stations fits, I got
called N7GP quite a bit.

Well, we were hoping to do a full 48 hours.  We got off and running, but
conditions seemed really bad the first night.  A bit of a JA opening,
but nothing on 10 on Friday.  Friday night I tried diligently to work
40/80/160.  On 40 I only have 1 VFO (in the process of getting a 2nd,
whoo-hoo!) so it was a real pain to work anyone.  On 80 I was able to
work quite a few VE's, which was very nice.  I managed to work 9 VE's,
an XE, and 2 KH6's.  Managed to spin the dial some on 40 and picked up
KH6, KL7, and a couple VE's.

160 was just an effort to pick up a couple mults, and I did, working 2
VE's and W7GG who graciously worked me so I could get the K mult.

Saturday was much better, except for one thing: There was no real EU
opening.  I could hear a few loud EU's, but I couldn't get them to hear
me through all the QRM.  And wow, was there QRM!  That was the loudest
I've ever heard 20 get, stateside QRM was S9 to 30 over from 14.150 to
14.300 the whole time.  The DSP really helped here, I managed to dig out
EM1LV Sat. night for a mult, even though there was 30 over QRM coming
from 1 kHz down.

With no EU opening, I didn't know what to expect.  But I worked T32MP
and KH0I back to back!
I remarked to Andy, KC7DZZ then that since T32 and KH0 are fairly close
to JA in bearing, we might see a super JA opening.  And boy, did we
ever!

Andy had to leave around 1800z on Saturday, so I was the only op for the
last 30 hours.  I sat and worked tons of JA's starting on 20 as early as
1830z, which is 11:30 AM local!  Finally picked up the first EU at
18:57z on 15, as I found a loud JW5NM for zone 40.

As I had predicted, the JA's came in like gangbusters, with 15 opening
to JA just before 2100z, a full 2 hours earlier than I usually hear.
Then 10 opened, with my first ever JA on 10 coming at 21:59z.

I figured that I had worked about all I could on the low bands, so I
slept Sat. night and then did papers and went to church, and really
didn't get back on until 1900z Sunday, and then having to QRT at 2300z
due to my cousin's birthday party.

Worked overall 56 JA's, or 33% of the total QSO's.  Only worked 4 EU
stations, much less than expected.

Interesting tidbits: Worked KH7R on 5 bands, saw them spotted on 160,
but I couldn't hear a thing.  Never did work zone 14, only heard maybe 1
zone 14 station all weekend.
I ended up with 4 KH6's on 10, after never worked KH6 on 10 SSB before.

I can't wait for CW SS, I should actually be able to run this year!  And
I really can't wait for CQ WW CW, as an operator at the W7RM M/M.