[3830] K6AW CQWW SSB SOHP 15M

Stephen Merchant merchant at garlic.com
Mon Oct 26 19:35:27 EST 1998

A semi-serious single band effort from N6RO.  Friday night was pretty good
-- I closed down at 0420Z with 381 Q's and a fair number of mults.  The
next morning I was on about 90 minutes before sunrise working the odd South
American and VE station plus an incredible number of US zero-poiners (I
hope those guys show up for SS), and listening to IR4T's signal improve
while watching the terminator creep across the Geoclock screen.  At around
1450Z an unexpected rainstorm began and by 1500Z the precip static was S9
on the top antenna.  At times it was S9+20dB, and also S8 on the middle
antenna.  The storm lasted three hours.  I was convinced I had missed the
big EU opening.  But after reading some of the other posts on 3830, I
wonder if there was a big 15m EU opening at all on either day for us poor
Left Coasters.

It was nice to see so much African activity, and I worked tons of EA's and
a fair number of South Americans.  The JA's kept me in the game, as usual.
Sad to miss Zone 39 but could not pull FR5DX through the line noise on
Sunday (this is what replaced the precip static.)  It was especially tough
to hear everyone else working him.

Thanks for all the Q's -- see you in SS.  Special thanks to N6RO and Mrs.
N6RO for hosting me again and to Ken for putting up with my rude remarks
about ssb contesting.  Thanks also to the large number of fellow contesters
who go places around the world to make this such an exciting contest.

Gear:	FT1000MP, Alpha 76 (with N4UQ upgrade to 3CX800A7's, WARC, QSK), TRLog
Antennas:	6x6x5 at 130',90',45

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries   Zones

   15SSB    1182        1180       2872       114        32

   Totals     1182        1180       2872       114        32

    Final Score = 419312 points.

  USA calls   =    193
  VE calls      =     44
  N.A. calls    =     46