[3830] K4AAA Remote Control INT

Bill Fisher, W4AN w4an at contesting.com
Sat Sep 26 16:41:48 EDT 1998

Remembered the INT 15 mins in to the contest.  Fired up the remote control
station from here at the house (50 miles from my station and the antennas).
 Imagaine working the contest from two applications within Windows.  One is
a DOS window that I toggle back and forth from to do the logging.  The
other is a Windows application that controls the radio, antennas, keying,
etc...  The DOS application can NOT send CW to the windows application.
All of the keying I did was by typing what I wanted to be sent.  What was
harder was trying to remember the name that I was just sent so that I could
send it.  So I got really good at ALT-TAB (switches between applications in
Windows).  About an hour in to the contest the connection with my station
was deteriorating to the point that I couldn't use it any more.  For some
reason from here at home this happens.  Poor phone switching here in the
country I guess.  After reconnecting and another 3 mins of down time I was
back at it.  At 1930Z the power at the station shuts off.  I shut off the
power up there twice a day with a timer just in case the modem gets hung
and I can't log in any more.  I tried to call the remote station on Vashon
Island in Washington, but the owner K7XX must have been there since the
modem didn't answer.  Not sure how Tree would have scored my entry if I had
operated from two states in the same 2 hour contest.  :)

I finished with 102 QSO's in 1:15 of operating.  All remotely.

Pretty cool ehh?

73

Bill

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)