[3830] W4AQL GQP M/M Mixed

Tim Cailloux tim at cailloux.com
Tue Aug 3 02:26:03 EDT 1999

                                 GEORGIA QSO PARTY

     Call used: W4AQL (Georgia Tech Amateur Radio Club)      Location: FULT

     Category: Multi-Multi Unlimited      Mode: MIXED           Power: 1500

     Callsign of Operator: W4AQL

     If multi-operator, show calls of all operators and loggers:
     KU4WJ (PH+CW), WJ2RM (PH), KE4QLI (PH)

     Exchanged Information: W4AQL RST FULT

     Hours of Operation: 20:00

     band   CW QSOs    CW pts     Ph QSOs    Ph pts
      80         17        34          17        17
      40         14        28          18        18
      20        119       238         870       870
      15         18        36          60        60
      10          0         0           0         0
     TOTAL      168       336         965       965

     ( 1301 ) QSO points  X  ( 101 ) Multipliers  =  131,401 points

     Club or Team Name: Georgia Tech ARC

     Comments:
	Well, being a student at what is, IMHO, the premier institute of higher
learning in Georgia, if not the United States <g>, I figured we should be in
our state's QSO Party.  The most experience any of us had with contests was
some light CW and a well-led multi-op Phone Sweepstakes from 1998 when we
didn't do that poorly in the phone competition.  Well, we jumped into the
contest with both feet and really had a great run with it.  We were able,
actually, to work all but 3 of the multiplier sections on Phone and I
believe we had over 40 multipliers on CW so that was a definite help.  We
worked quite a few DX stations from Fulton County, and a few others in the
surrounding counties, but not many from the more "exotic" ones the rovers
were plowing through.  The 3 ops tag-teamed on Phone and KU4WJ blasted away
working Q's and Mult's on CW.  Looking at the results now, I can't believe
how insane our effort was - we went in hoping to break 20k, maybe 30,000
total.  I guess that's the benefit of youth - there is still a lot of room
for error.
	I heard K4AAA blasting away on 20M for a little while when our mouths
couldn't form CQ GA QSO Party any more (lesson learned - you need a voice
keyer for anything more than a few hours).  A big thank-you to K4BAI et al.
for their efforts in getting the GA QSO Party together and I hope it is as
successful in the future!

73's
tim - KE4QLI
Tim Cailloux		tim at cailloux.com
KE4QLI			President, Georgia Tech ARC - W4AQL
(404) 875-0778 (h)

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com