[3830] WQ5L S/O NAQP CW

Ray Rocker rocker at ametro.net
Sun Aug 8 17:23:01 EDT 1999

WQ5L (@N5FG) S/O NAQP score:

Band   QSOs  Mult
-----------------
160CW    0     0   (No antenna)
 80CW   87    28
 40CW  220    45
 20CW  229    53
 15CW   78    33
 10CW    4     4
-----------------
Total  612 x 163 == 99,576 points

Radios: one, FT1000
Hours operated: 10:00 (1830-0429Z)

Disappointing result after a fast start: 37 Qs in the first 15 minutes.
After working down the initial pile on 20 meters and making an S&P pass,
things got REAL slow. The right thing to do would have been to take
the rest of the off time early. I had other plans for the evening,
though, and had to get the contesting done ASAP.

15 meters was open nicely to W6 but up and down to everywhere else.
Signals from the Midwest and Northeast were in and out. Couldn't
get much attention by CQing though many QSYs to 15 were successful.

10 meters was just abyssmal. Many requested QSYs were tried, but
W4AN was the only one I could work on scatter. My other three 10m Qs
were with PR, VI, and HI.

In contrast to reports from the Midwest, 80 meters was pleasantly quiet
here, with unusually stable wx settled over the Gulf South. Was weird
to make it through a summer contest with no lightning-forced QRT!
Would have been nice to have an antenna for 160 this time.

Observation: too many people use xx060 as a mult-moving freq.
Several times when moved to 21060, I had to dig through the QRM
of other pairs of stations doing the same thing. At least once
I did hear the guy who moved me but could not complete the QSO.

Ray Rocker   WQ5L
rocker at ametro.net

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com