[3830] AA8U S/O NAQP SSB

Bruce Lallathin aa8u at modempool.com
Sun Aug 22 16:44:15 EDT 1999

1999  NCJ North American QSO Party

CALL USED    AA8U
MODE        PHONE
ARRL SECTION   MI
Name         UGLY
Class         S/O

Valid          QSOs  multipliers

       160       83     29
        80      200     45
        40      198     42
        20      255     47
        15       26      4
        10

TOTAL           762    167  =  127,254     Claimed Score

Operating Time = 9.5 hrs.

TEAM COMPETITION    NO
Club Affiliation    NONE

Equipment: TS-950SD @ 135 Watts

160: Full size Vertical
     In-Vee
 80: 4 el Delta Loop Array
     2 el Delta Loop Array
     elevated 4 square
     In-Vee
 40: 3/3 Yagi
     In-Vee
 20: 6/6 Yagi
     4 el Quad
 15: 6/6/6 Yagi
     5el Quad
     4el Quad
 10: 8/8/8 Yagi
     5 el Quad
     5 el Quad
 RX: 7 Beverage

WriteLog 9.23
----------

Once again somebody broke 10 meters! Seems nearly every contest since cqww
the optimum propagation occured just prior or just after the contests. Will
this sunspot peak come and go and miss the contests completely? Sure feels
like it here.

The last set of thunderstorms blew some distribution line arrestors in the
neighborhood. These cause terrible QRN. Add that to the usual afternoon
band noise on 10/15/20 and it gets really hard to hear anything but the
strongest signals.

It has been a while since I've operated this contest and never seriously.
This time I decided to just stick with it and at least finish it. It took
six minutes to make the first QSO! That is how long it took me to decide to
get off 10 meters and move on. I came close to pulling the plug and mowing
my lawn. Glad I didn't.

Normally, I enter QRO in contests that permit it. It takes a whole
different set of skills to operate low power and mine have lots of room for
improvement. Those that do well operating low power and QRP have my
admiration.

160 was rather lively. I forgot to connect my South Beverage and this cost
me some I'm sure. There was a lot of activity from the Gulf Coast state
stations.

This was a fun contest in spite of less than great conditions.

73,
Bruce
AA8Ugly

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com