[3830] CQWW CW WP2Z SOSB/10 LP

DavidHarper at tx.slr.com DavidHarper at tx.slr.com
Thu Dec 2 14:55:52 EST 1999

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - CW

Call: WP2Z
Operator(s): WD5N
Station: WP2Z

Class: SOSB/10 LP

   10:   2440     36    109
-------------------------------
Total:   2440     36    109  =  912,485

Comments:

After Hurricane "Wrong-Way-Lenny" hit St. Croix the week before, I was a little
apprehensive about what I would find. Stan, K8MJZ, was there for SS-Phone and
he had replaced the blown-away C4 with the spare A3 tribander. The power was
restored to most of the island, but not for Windwood at the top of the hill, so
we ran on generator power. The FT-1000 fried something 3 minutes after I turned
it on, and henceforth would receive but no power out on xmit, so I used the
spare IC751A. The old IBM PS-2 386 computer worked the first day I hooked it
up, but the next day it would not boot.  The grandson of Lorrin, the owner,
loaned me his Fujitsu laptop.  After returning from a Buck Island snorkeling
trip Friday afternoon, I found that I had been parked in a no-parking zone
(99.5% of the yellow paint on the curb was worn off) and the rent-car had been
towed away. After several phone calls and waiting and $70 for taxi and tow
fees, I got the car back and arrived at the station just as the contest was
starting, but then had to add TR-Log to the laptop and get it set up.  After
all that, it was pretty smooth sailing. Since the low-band antennas were down,
I decided to do 10M Low Power again and defend the NA record I set from there
last year.  Of course 10 was in great shape.  I started out above 28080 on
Saturday morning but spent a good deal of time running as high as 28187.  Maybe
it was my imagination, but it seemed like people were more courteous this year.
 Less frequency encroachment, pileups more behaved.  Maybe that's just because
I was so high up the band, hi.  Ended up with a few less Q's than last year,
but more mults, so exceeded the NA record by 100K, and even barely beat the
10M-LP world record, but probably not by enough after the logcheckers do their
thing. Of course, somebody else could have beat those records by more than I
did - just have to wait and see.  I love this contest!

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com