[3830] W4MR / K4HA ARRL 160 Multiop Rover Class

AA4NC at aol.com AA4NC at aol.com
Sun Dec 5 13:50:54 EST 1999

(Proof positive that low frequency RF affects the brain...)

Friday night:
Station: K4HA    Operators: K4HA, K4MA, AA4NC
542 QSOs    12 DX   63 Sections = 87,375    (13 hours)

Saturday night:
Station: W4MR   Operators: K4HA, K4MA, AA4NC
642 QSOs     9 DX    69 Sections = 102,726   (13 hours)

We tried the multiop rover class (probably invented by W3GH/W9XR) to relieve
the boredom of those slow hours by being new meat on Saturday. We had talked
about it, but knew it was meant to be when my 160 antenna blew up in the
CQWW, making it necessary to build the Saturday night antenna on Saturday
afternoon (tnx-K4MA). The antenna, an inverted L, played fairly well. VK6HD
called in for the last mult RST 589 near sunrise.

Participation seemed down a bit. I guess after CQWW Phone, SS CW, SS Phone,
and CQWW CW in as many weeks, something has to give. DX participation was way
down. I guess they just give up trying to use 1830-1835 since a few lids seem
unable to find another space outside the DX window to call CQ. Most all the
DX we worked at both stations called us. At one point, we called a US station
who was CQing on 1.832, and asked him to QSY out of the window. He stubbornly
refused and replied that he wasn't in the window. Maybe a review of rule 6.1
are in order?

See you next weekend in the 10m test...

73,

Will AA4NC / W4MR