[3830] K4IQ ARRL 160 SOHP Assisted

John B. Mitchell jbmitch at vt.edu
Wed Dec 8 08:52:26 EST 1999

K4IQ    VA

Single Op Assisted (Multi)     CW      1500W

Hours of Operation: 18:06

QSOs: 844 X 86 multipliers (73 ARRL, 13 DX) = 152,736 points for PVRC

Eqpt: 1000MP, Alpha 89, Inv Vee @ 100' on mtn top tower, NE, NW, SW
bevs.
Comments:

Conditions very noisy to the West and propagation off to Europe on
Friday.  Europe was better on Saturday, but the rain apparently moved
northeast, making copy more difficult.  At least the CA stations came
through the second night.  K6SE was the first CA worked the first night,
and by far the loudest, with only two other CA sections that night.
Eventually snagged all but SF and SDG.  First run at this test with the
MP, and still learning the technique to listen with the second receiver
as I run.
I took off for dinner both nights (relinquishing a good run freq.) and
could only stay up til 3 or so, but with family demands, it's all I
could muster.  I decided to try to maximize multipliers by referring to
the internet DX cluster (OH2BUA) periodically, which was responsible for
finding maybe one or two mults.  Most of the EU stations broke in on my
run frequency, and one pleasant surprise was being spotted by OK1DOT at
EU sunrise on 1822 the second nite. This resulted in a brief but fun run
of mostly DLs, and I actually felt like a big gun for a while...HI
My favorite contest, and I enjoyed it all, congrats to the PVRCers I
worked for braving the QRN and esp. to W4MYA for his great score.
73 all,
John K4IQ

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com