[3830] ARRL 10 N0DY SO CW HP

n0dy at arrl.net n0dy at arrl.net
Sun Dec 12 21:08:40 EST 1999

                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N0DY
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SO CW HP

   CW:   1617    138
  SSB:
----------------------
Total:   1618    138  =  895344

Comments:

Eastern Iowa DX Association (EIDXA)

Antenna:  C31XR tribander at 73 feet.

Rig:      Icom 746 with SB220 amp.

My first entry in this contest. I thought I was getting the hang of this CW
thing, but this weekend my mind seemed to refuse to distinguish 2s from 3s,
and
6s from 7s. My apologies to all of you in 2,3,6, and 7 land who patiently
helped me get your calls right. And to you DX stations who gave me multiple
fills on your serial number. I'm dreading the UBN report!

I'm much happier with my mental performance in this contest than in the CQWW.
(Other than the 2,3,6,7 problem). I felt mentally disorganized for much of the
CQWW - probably too many decisions. In the 10m contest, at least you don't
have
the option to change bands when the rate slows! I was also able to be much
more
disciplined in S&Ping, although it still takes me more time to make a pass
than
I think it should. I still haven't obtained the knack of distinguishing calls
separated by 0.001 Hz.

Biggest thrills: Working N0FW from North Dakota at 2313 Sunday for WAS. VQ9IO
calling ME.

Biggest disappointments: Missing DXCC by a lot! (Only 80 countries). I just
couldn't seem to find the DX. As a result, I probably spent way too much time
S&Ping, looking for the elusive mult. On the other hand, I only had one hour
over 100 anyway, so maybe it didn't hurt too much.

73,
Jeff N0DY
n0dy at arrl.net

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/