[3830] Stew Perry K6NDV Multi-Op

k6se at netzero.net k6se at netzero.net
Mon Dec 20 13:23:14 EST 1999

                     Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K6NDV
Operator(s): K6NDV, K6SE, KR6C
Station: K6NDV

Class: Multi-Op
Power: HP
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Grid Square: DM15

QSOs: 264  Score: 1444

Comments:

Operation was at Koehn Dry Lake in southern California, on ground with
better
conductivity than sea water.  Multi-op high power category, ops were K6NDV,
K6SE, and KR6C.

Started out at 0100 GMT looking like a poor propagation night.  Finally a
few
weak W4s started showing.  Condx gradually worked northward to W3, then W2,
finally W1.

First DX worked was KV4FZ's BIG signal.  Although there appeared to be no
hope
for EU, G3PQA called us at 0745Z, then G3SED shortly afterwards.  Pity the
band
didn't open before England's sunrise.

>From the west, the high-pointers were KH2/K4SXT and the dozen JAs worked
plus
UA0MF.  Disappointed in the small turnout of JAs -- the ones that showed all
had very good signals.  VK6VZ and VK6HD were our farthest QSOs, 31 pointers
each.  Mike, VK6HD was about 57 km farther from us than Steve, VK6VZ, at
15,157.618 km.

No South Americans or Africans were heard.

Our Diamond receiving antenna at the dry salt lake bed didn't perform as
well
as we  had hoped.  It is felt that interaction with the 70' top-loaded
transmit
vertical is the reason, even thought the antennas were 350' to 400' apart.
All
stations worked were received on the tx vertical.

We all had fun, eagerly awaiting next year's Stew Perry.

73, de Earl, K6SE

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com