[3830] VE3KZ RAC Winter SOAB HP Unassisted

Bob Nash ve3kz at netcom.ca
Tue Dec 21 10:20:35 EST 1999

Canada Winter Contest 1999

    Callsign Used : VE3KZ
    Category : SOAB HP Unlimited

  160CW       11          11         86       5
  160SSB      15          15        102       4
   80CW       70          69        404       9
   80SSB     173         171       1472      10
   40CW      116         116        652       9
   40SSB     176         173       1300      11
   20CW      106         106        556      10
   20SSB     188         186       1438      11
   15CW       95          93        414       8
   15SSB     198         198        916      10
   10CW       77          77        454       9
   10SSB     205         205       1048      11
    6CW        1           1         10       1
    6SSB      12          12        104       1
    2CW        1           1         10       1
    2SSB       1           1         10       1
 Totals     1445        1435       8976     111

    Preliminary Score = 996,336 points.

A few, maybe more, comments on the contest. Of, course I was aiming for One
Million and came within 4 VE Q’s or one multiplier of the goal. The score is
probably still a new record for the Winter RAC Contest, log checking still
to come. Nice to set both this and the Canada Day record in the same year.
Now on to other things, the competition says!

Thanks to Fred HS0ZAA for the Q at 23:50! Pleasant surprise! Also to VE8RAC
for calling me on 40 at 23:14 and moving to 20 for a double multiplier, and
to VE2ZP for asking me if I needed any VE2 mults and then moving to 160 CW
for a new one. It’s nice to have someone out there doing your thinking for
you after 23 hours. And then there were VE9KM and VE1ACU both in NB who
responded to my request much earlier to a last minute multiplier try near
the end of the contest on 80CW. 4 Mults in the last hour, after only  1/hr
in the previous 3 hours.

I strongly suspect that the Stew Perry, plus mediocre conditions on 160 were
largely responsible for not making a higher score. 160 multiplier was 9 in
the Winter versus 19 on July 1st. How’s that for an inversion! Ten of course
saved the day, as expected, with 20 mults versus 3 in the summer.

And now some stats for those so inclined:
- 160 band changes between the 16 SSB and CW "bands", about 40 Q's max
between band changes
- Best hour was hour #2 with 109 Q's
- Greatest change in score due to rate and new mults was hour 16 with the
10m opening to VE with 81 Q and 8 new mults
- 474 CW and 961 SSB, 33% vs 67%
- Canada and Outside Canada QSO’s virtually equal

Again a real pleasure to work all those 700+ Canadian Q’s, the 300+ W’s and
400+ DX stations, and of course 37 RAC stations QSO’s. Congratulations to
all the other competitors and the casual operators that make it all
worthwhile.

73 Bob VE3KZ
ve3kz at rac.ca

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com