[3830] WL7KY CW Sprint HP

Frank Hurlbut kl7fh at customcpu.com
Sun Feb 14 12:38:31 EST 1999

North American Sprint

CALL USED___WL7KY____________ STATE or PROVINCE or COUNTRY_AK___
MODE __CW__ NAME   Chris
CALL OF OPERATOR IF DIFFERENT FROM CALL
USED____________________________________

                 0    80m QSOs
                61    40m QSOs
               111    20m QSOs
              172 QSO points
x            39 Multipliers
=            6708 Claimed score

Team:  RDO

I am not pleased with my score at all....  It was my first cw sprint
though, so I guess I can't complain too much.  It's really hard doing a
contest like this anyway, but when you are off the sides or backs of
everyones beams, it's harder.  The first half hour was really bad for me.
I had a whopping 19 qso's!  Every time I would call someone, I would get
beat out.  Later on though, it got to where I could work some, but by then,
most had gone to 40.  I was going to stay on 20 for as long as was
possible, so I left at 0245 with my last qso being N7JI.  40m was a very
pleasany surprise!  Everyone, and I really do mean everyone, was either 599
or more.  Loudest was N6TR, 30-40 over!  N6IG was about 20 over, K7NT was
20 over, N2NT, N2RM were both 10 over, pretty good east coast opening
actually.  I worked people as fast as I could find them for the first 40
minutes or so.  Then I decided to go 80, and my fingers were crossed hoping
that I had fixed the 80m antenna problem....  I didn't.  So switched to the
40m beam, and tried to work some of the loud guys.  None of them heard me,
so I just quit wasting time, and went to 40 until the end.  Rate went way
down, but I got the XE mult to cheer me up a little bit.  I had a blast,
and just barely squeaked by the old AK record.  It will probably stay
standing, depending on what I lose to log checking.  I am sure that if I
had 80m, I would have had over 200 qso's.  It was still fun though!
As always, all sending was by hand.  I don't even have the computer set up
as a keyer.  Also, Writelog worked great, I think it has become my new
contest logging program.
See everyone in ARRL DX CW!

Rig:  TS-570DG
Ant:  20m: TH7 @50feet
         40m: 3 elem full size wire yagi pointed at stateside
         Amp: Heathkit HA-10 Warrior,  four  811A's

"I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations
for Amateur Radio in my country. My report is correct and true
to the best of my knowledge."

Date ______________ Signature____________________________________________
Call ______________

MULTIPLIER LIST
W/VE:
CT   NJ   CA   MI   IL   CO   MA   NY   MD   FL   LA   AZ   OH   IN   IA
PA   GA   ID   WI   ON   NH   NM   MN   NC   TX   NV   MO   SK   VT   SC
OK   OR   TN   BC   VA   WA   SD

DX:
XE    ZF

Chris Hurlbut, WL7KY