[3830] N9CO ARRL DX CW, SOA

charlieo at tellabs.com charlieo at tellabs.com
Mon Feb 22 09:23:38 EST 1999

N9CO, Single Op Assisted, High Power:

Band	QSO's	Mults
----	-----	-----
 160	    0	    0	=> Heath Cantenna Dummy Load
  80	   68	   44	=> Inv Vee Dipole, apex @ 50'
  40	  159	   68	=> Homebrew rotatable dipole @ 65'
  20	  475	   83	=> TH6 @ 55'
  15	  411	   85	=> TH6 @ 55'
  10	  319	   78	=> TH6 @ 55'
  	-----	-----
  	 1432	  358	=> 1,537,968

TS930 with PIEXX uP board upgrade (allows computer control... COOL!!)
SB220
TR Log... TR reports about 18 hours off time (30 hours on...)

First time in SOA.  Entered this class at last minute due to the great deal of
FUN! that I've had over the past few weeks as a Beta tester for the PIEXX 930 uP
board.  Yes, boys and girls, this product is for real, and makes operating the
old 930 that much better.  Really enjoyed using TR's band map feature, and
working mults was, at times, "like shooting fish in a barrel".  My pre-contest
strategy and goals were to "have fun" and put the modified 930 through it's
paces.  Happy to say the TR/930 interface worked flawlessly.  Can't say the same
for the local packet cluster... it would drop me quickly and often.  Wasted a
lot of time reconnecting, but compared to the time I took off for sleeping,
eating, showering, playing with my 3 year old daughter, it wasn't that bad.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results, especially with no 160 activity here.
160 ant is non-functional at the moment.  80 was a pleasant suprise here.  I
could hear only the very loudest stations on the inv vee.  But, by listening on
the 40m rotatable dipole and transmitting on the inv vee, I found that I, too,
could work just about anything I wanted.  No, I didn't get through on the first
call, but I did get through.  It was lots of fun, with one hand on the keyboard
and the other on the ant switch selector.

73,

Charlie  N9CO

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com