[3830] W3PP ARRL DX CW M/M

Dallas Carter ludal at dmv.com
Mon Feb 22 20:47:34 EST 1999

                 ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: W3PP                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Multi

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

      160       50      150   3.0       32      KA3AFT, AA1K
       80      334     1002   3.0       66      WB4FDT, W3KQ
       40      958     2859   3.0       90      NW3Y, K3FT, W2GJ
       20     1575     4707   3.0      107      AA1K, N3KW
       15     1524     4572   3.0      103      W3PP, KW3Z
       10     1243     3726   3.0       91      KB3AFT
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   5684    17016   3.0      489  =   8,320,824

Comment: Murphy attacked with a vengence this year.  It started a week before
the contest, when a "Noreaster" took out the rotor on the high 5 element 20m
array.  That's the second Yeasu rotor in 3 months for that antenna.  Same
rotor that I use on the low 5 el, but that is on a hazer that flexes in the
wind. There is no give on the Rohn 65G, solid as a rock.  The local packet
node crapped out 3 days before the contest, so with no packet, our mults are
way down.  During the contest the Henry 4K keeps tripping the HV overload.
Pulled out the LK-500Z backup to find that one tube has an open filament.
Out comes the backup SB-200, it has less power out than the exciter.  Rather
than setting up a relay driver for the 30L-1, I go back to the 4K and finish
the contest in the tune position.  On the first night, the 160 antenna
coupler arcs and takes out the directional coupler and the tx connector.  I
rewired the position to use the 10m coupler on both bands.  On the second
night, the 80m antenna coupler fries the coil.  Take the 10/160m coupler to
80, and repair the old 160m coupler for use on 10/160.  In addition,
something quirky happenned on 15.  When 2 or more other positions are keying
(never could correlate which ones) the outboard keyer on 15 would start
sending garbage.  I would unplug from the rig as quickly as I could, but I
am not slick enough to be efficient on the keyboard as some of you certainly
noticed.  A thoroughly exhausting weekend for me, but the ops here did a
super job.  I think they got all they could out of a bandaid station.
Thanks to all the DX that stopped by to help us, and particularly to those
who kindly changed bands so that we could get another mult.

                     73 Dallas

All reports sent were 599, unless otherwise noted.

Operator List: KB3AFT, W3PP, AA1K, NW3Y, WB4FDT, K3FT, W2GJ, N3KW,
               W3KQ, KW3Z

Equipment Description:
  10/160            15             20             40              80
FT-1000MP       FT-1000MP       FT1000MP        TS-940S         TS-940S
TITAN 425       HENRY 4K-2      ALPHA 91B       PUMA AMP        ALPHA 76CA
10= 4EL @52'    5EL @65'        5EL @73'        2EL @85'        3EL QUAGI
4/4 @60'/34'    4EL @52'                        CLOUDBURNER     SLOPER @80'
160=BENT VERT                                                   DIPOLE @45'
                        NE/NW/SW BEVERAGES ON 80/160