[3830] W4PA CQ WW 160 CW SO/HP

Scott Robbins srobbins@usit.net
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 11:08:25 -0500 (EST)

W4PA SO/HP 160 CQ WW CW
167/37/9 = 19,044 claimed in 2.5 hours operating time.

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Equip: Ten-Tec Omni-VI Plus/Ten-Tec Titan II prototype amp
       1500 watts out, antennas Inverted L, Beverages

Got home from work about 6:00 Friday night, by the time I had
the radio on, computer on and the antennas connected it was about
6:15.  Tuned up the amp, first guy I heard and worked was N4IR.
Ran up the band, worked everyone I could hear and then settled in
at 1804.93 to run some guys - great fun - you're always guaranteed
a 130 or 140 rate the first half hour of a 160 contest.  Phone
rings at 7:13.  It's Kirk, K4RO.  "Hey, what are ya doing?"
"Errr...running guys on 1.804" ..."Oh yeah, I forgot all about the
contest... :-)"

That was the end of Friday night.  I had a gig in Knoxville at 9:00,
walked out the door at 7:30 to get there (hour and 10 minute drive),
and naturally I got stuck in traffic going through Pigeon Forge and
got to the club at 8:55, threw all my gear on the stage and jammed
for the next five hours.  Back in the car at 2:30 AM, back home
at 3:45, radio back on at 3:50 AM and worked whoever was still
awake at that hour for about 30 minutes.  Virtually no answers to
my CQing at that hour, almost all S&P.

Saturday night went downstairs at 7:15 to find the band wide open
to Europe.  Lots of loud stations here.  It is painfully obvious
who the alligators in Europe are.  All those S7 signals either came
right back or didn't come back at all.  Was able to work OH0 for
a new one for me on top band - ESP level weak here but he came
right back with a signal report and the call correct on the first
try, good operating.  Mary came home from work at 8:20, I shut off
the radio for the night to cook some dinner.

I'll never be a serious 160 meter contester but I always enjoy
poking around for the rare DX and working the deserving.  See all
of you (serious this time) for the Sprints and ARRL DX CW.

Cheers,
Scott Robbins, W4PA
TCG Facilitator 1999

Visit the Tennessee Contest Group at <http://www.k4ro.net/tcg.html>
    LITTLE FEAT owns the groove at <http://www.littlefeat.net>
The views expressed above do not represent the view of my employer.