[3830] VA7RR Canada Day 1999 20M S/B High Power

Gary Caldwell ve7ntt at bc.sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 3 16:52:20 EDT 1999

Canada Day Contest 1999

VA7RR    20 Meter Single Band
                 High Power

                  CW -  505
                 SSB - 1019

                Total - 1524 x 25 Mults  =   233,150  (claimed score
                                     exceeds existing Canadian record)

A few comments: Another year of excellent conditions on 20 meters.
                All 24 hours of the contest were productive
                (worst hour was 08Z with 36
                QSOs). The band was open
                around the clock to Eastern Canada, but most were
                asleep during the wee hours!  Had a
                real nice run of EU at 05Z.

                I thought activity from Canada was definitely
                down compared to 1998.  Rates during the second 12
                hours of the test were down 5-10 QSOs per hour, and the
                20-point RAC stations were not out in force.
                However, CW activity from the VE-contingent
                was really quite good, in my mind.

                I lost a 3-500Z in my amp about 6 hours into
                the event.  Put up with the lower output for a
                few hours, then decided to change it out.  Still
                managed to keep a barefoot signal on the air
                most of the time while doing the swap.

                Had a blast using the new VA7RR call for the
                first time in a contest.
                I really like the call, but people hear
                "Victor Echo" when I say "Victor
                Alpha."  Didn't take me too long to start
                using "Victor America Seven,"
                which helped a lot.  I suppose that there will
                be a learning curve as
                everyone gets used to the new prefix.

                Thanks to everyone for the QSOs!

73,