[3830] N0AH IARU SO phone only

Dinsterdog at aol.com Dinsterdog at aol.com
Sun Jul 11 10:01:37 EDT 1999

N0AH
Single Op phone mode
Exchange 59-07
State of Wyoming

1999 IARU HF Score
365 QSO's  63 Zones  38 HQ's for 116,857

Equipment:
Antennas: 6 Ele Tennadyne Log Periodic; Butternut HF2V; 160 Inv L
RIG - IC756
Ameritron Amp
CT9 logging software
Operated 9.6 hours

SOAP BOX

After spending days preparing for CQWWVHF bust- so it was nice to have a
"just in case" scenerio-.  It was my first IARU contest- and it was really
fun-

As ussual, had a possessed MFJ Keyer- just when you think you see it all, the
darn thing locks up my rig's vox when it operated off of a separate 12 V
power supply vs. the one for the rig-  when I hooked it up to the rig's power
supply, it worked like a champ!  Sounds like an EZ fix but it took an hour to
figure this one out-  will be an interesting contribution to my "1,000,001"
Things That WILL Go Wrong book-

CT9 was SNAFU'd too- - book states that I can operate mixed mode, it even
shows the screen for it- but my screen only showed options for ssb or
cw......so I went ssb -

Also, being somewhat in shock over VHF forecasts- I forgot my zone for the
first few QSO's.......sorry to the first victims of my screwup- and thx to
the ops who helped me- I now know forever and ever that I am in Zone 7, not
8, 6, 32  etc......it cost me a few QSO's- but better to find out early
rather than late--

I was somewhat "not into it" after all this fun but when I got my ARRL SS
certificates in the mail around noon- it motivated me to get serious about
this one dispite blank stare into space over VHF conditions-

I spent a lot of time putting up that 6 meter dipole at 12 feet- maybe next

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com