[3830] WPX CW OH1F (OH1NOA op.) 15m SB HP score + story

Timo Timo
Tue Jun 1 18:41:37 EDT 1999

         CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: OH1F (ex-OH1AF)  **        Country:  Finland
      Op:   OH1NOA

      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator
                                               Single Band 15m

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80        0        0   0.0        0
       40        0        0   0.0        0
       20        0        0   0.0        0
       15     1215     2883   2.4      584
       10        0        0   0.0        0
     --------------------------------------
     Totals   1215     2883   2.4      584  =   1,683,672

All reports sent were 59(9)#, unless otherwise noted.
Equipment Description:
IC735 + HL2K 700w out
4/4el yagis + TH3 fixed Eu
Club Affiliation: Contest Club Finland

** We had two single bands (15&20) with the same call and qth.

Good news first:
My score is over the current OH record of OH6RM (1.506M).
Then the excuses section:
OH2U had more qs on 15meters and they were in m/s class ... I was badly beaten by the rest of the world. There are several reasons:
1) New GSM tower of the local phone company is making terrible QRN exactly in the JA direction. I could not copy anything under S4 from the east/JA. Missed propably some 50-100 weak JAs. Sorry...
2) I had problems to rotate my tower thru the weekend. Time to time I was beaming to somewhere odd directions. I also had to try to solve that mechanical problem and my netto operating time actually is around 33 hours.
3) There was something wrong with the propagation from Scandinavia. LY6M SOAB worked almost as many qsos as OH2U. 15m was open 24 hours - I was able to work USA around 0700z and JAs around 2100z, but did not get any rate. My best hour was around 65 and actually my best 24 hours are nearly 1000 qsos. Strange. Was there some kind of propagation blanket over Finland? (read the latest NCJ - now KL7RA was lucky, hi!) It would be nice to read some comments about Sca signals in USA and JA.
4) Propagation to Europe was minimal. Missed lots of prefixes and worked only about 370 EUs.
5) 700 watts is like a novice power?

Plus:
1) I worked and heard CN8WW when Ben had almost 4000 qsos. OH1MDR(OH1F) at 20m never heard him or OH0Z. I also had to work over 800qs before hearing OH0V (15m).
2) Strongest USA station over the weekend was AJ4Y and biggest gun from Japan was JA5BJC. Also WL7E was really strong!
3) Additional statistics appear later on my Radiosporting Web Site: http://www.qsl.net/oh1noa/contest.html
4) Next contest @OH1F may be IARU Contest. Before that we try do some antenna work...
5) Go CCF!

73 Timo OH1NOA, OH0NOA
"- Do you know how difficult it is - to fake your own death?
 Only one man has pulled it up: Elvis."
(Fox Mulder to Dana Scully)
Timo Klimoff                                 timo.klimoff at kolumbus.fi
++Ham/Search/Blake/Kewl at   http://www.qsl.net/oh1noa