[3830] WQ5W SOAB LP-Apartment

+ + wq5w at my-deja.com
Tue Jun 1 12:32:34 EDT 1999

Call used:  WQ5W
Equipment:  Icom IC-735 (about 60W), MFJ Indoor loop
            antenna-first floor apartment

Band		Raw QSO's	Valid QSO's	Points	Prefixes
20CW		 204		203		472	110
15CW		308		306		632	198
10CW	  	36		36		64	14

Totals		548		545		1168	322

Final Score = 376096 points.

Team:  North Texas Contest Club

This was the first contest I have operated twice from the apartment.
My goal was modest: to beat last years score of:

224 X 182 = 55,874

I accomplished this goal only 5 hours into the contest.  My final QSO
total was the highest ever in a contest from this QTH.

It was also the first chance to try out my "new" used Icom 735 that I
bought last week.  Having a computer controlled radio and being able
to use the band map feature on TR really helps when all of your Q's
are S&P.

Random thoughts:

As every score seems to indicate, 15M was THE band this weekend.  I
was working EU up until I went to bed at 3 A.M. local time Sunday
morning; never experienced that before.

Where was 10M?  Probably in the same place 15M was in last year's
contest.  I only worked 1 EU station (CT1BOH), but I did manage to
snag 5X1Z-neat!

I love the new scoring system.  My favorite contest has always been
IARU because of this reason and this puts WPX right up there in my
book.

HC8N was loud on all the bands all the time.

Best DX worked:  SU, JY, 5X, A4

To WQ5L: Please add about 10 Q's to your score.  These were guys who I
called who thought I was you and went to the next guy before copying
my correction.  I couldn't log them, but I think somebody should be
able to : )

Overall, I had a MUCH better weekend then my Dallas Stars did.  See
you all in IARU.

73,

Alan, WQ5W

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com