[3830] WPX CW WI9WI SO AB HP UA

James H. Fitzpatrick, Jr. jhfitzpa at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 4 22:18:19 EDT 1999

Station: WI9WI
Op: WI9WI
QTH: Winter, WI
Category: SO AB HP UA NCNE5NN

160     0     0
80       7     2
40    167  86
10      20   15

1287 QSOs     536 Mults     1,649,808 Score     18 Hrs

1287 Total QSOs   1011 DX   276 US (21.4%)
Score increase by 1 point QSO rule 9.9%.

Gear: IC-765/AL-82 1000 Watts; 80 dipole at 80 ft.; 40 2 el fixed N at 95 ft
(broken rotor);
20 4 el at 100 ft fixed N (same broken rotor), 4 el at 60 ft fixed NE; 15 5
el at 60 ft; 10 6 el at 55 ft; a-3 at 35 ft fixed SE.

Comments: Murphy struck before the contest even started. Thursday night my
wife had to make arrangements to go to California early Friday morning for a
family emergency. This meant I couldn't leave for the cabin (a 5 hr drive
from Madison) until after 3 Friday cause the kids were in school. I got to
the cabin about 2 hrs after the contest started, and on the air about 2 hrs
later. On the way up I had the horrible realization that I had left one of
my equipment boxes on the basement floor in the confusion of packing
(usually my wife packs the food and the kid's stuff). I don't leave any gear
at the cabin except my 75 lb amplifier due to endemic breakins, mostly by
bored, unsupervized local kids, in the northern Wisconsin vacationland. In
the box were my good headphones, and worse yet, my computer interface
cables. That meant I had to use a pair of cheap, headsqueezing stereo phones
I leave at the cabin. Fortunately I had my trusty old MFJ keyer along, but I
had to make a couple of cables after I got there, and couldn't remember how
to program the SN into the exchange. So, I could CQ with it but had to do
everything else, except log, by hand. So I apolgize to all for the
occasional excruciatingly bad CQ eminating from WI9WI. So I didn't put in
quite as much time as I planned, but the excellent band conditions made up
for it. Fifteen was terrific, and 20 and 40 very good, but as others have
noted, there was ofter a paucity of stations there due to the excellent
condx on 15. 80 was noisy, 160 not even listened on, and 10 mostly dead in
NWI. At times Saturday evening, 15 was open to all 6 continents at the same
time - WOW! Thanks for all the QSOs.(NCNE5NN = No Cut Numers Except 5NN -is
this a new category ?)

73

Jim WI9WI

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com