[3830] Fw: MARAC 1999 CH CW CONTEST RESULTS: SCORES, SOAPBOX, HISTORY WINNERS

Norman E Beavers w3dya at juno.com
Sun Jun 6 23:24:59 EDT 1999

1999 MARAC (33RD) COUNTY HUNTERS CW CONTEST RESULTS

			STATE	TOT 	QSO	 (MULT)
AWARD	CALL	CTYS	(TOT)	QSO'S	POINTS	COUNTIES  TOTAL SCORE
MOBILE STATIONS
 P	W9MSE	69	TOT	1,320	4,406	227       1,000,162
   	W3DYA	44	TX	915	3,595	227	     816,065
  C	W9MSE	29	SD	579	2143	155	     332,165
P	VE2EM	14	TOT	272	1,424	128	     182,272
  C	VE2EM	13	ME	254	1,318	120	     158,160
	NG0T	27	TOT	203	1,201	116	     139,316
	W1NN	8	TOT	224	1,110	104  	     115,440
  C	W9MSE	22	IA	422	1048	86    	      90,128
  C	KF9D	11	IL	172	830	84	      69,720
  C	W1NN	5	NY	122	560	75	      45,450
  C	W1NN	3	CT	102	550	70	      35,280
  C	W9MSE	6	WI	132	574	61	      35,014
  C	NG0T	12	NE	132	454	58           26,332
	W9MSE	5	IL	93	357	46	      16,422
	NG0T	7	SD	87	295	47	      13,865
  C	NG0T	3	WY	45	245	34	       8,330
  C	NG0T	5	CO	59	207	35	       7,245
	W9MSE	4	NE	57	163	29	       4,727
  C	W9MSE	3	MN	37	121	21	       2,541
  C	VE2EM	1	NH	18	106	15	       1,590
	Total	173

FIXED STATIONS     STATE   QSO's  PTS    MULT   SCORE
P	W0GXQ		MN	274	2,466	229	564,714
P	WC5D		TX	225	1,784	178	317,552
  C	W2EZ		NY	135	1,465	129	188,985
  C	WA3HAE		PA	151	1,365	129	176,085
  C	N7JXS		AZ	124	1,440	117	168,480
  C	KO4PY		NC	158	1,136	140	159,040
  C	K9WA		IL	135	1,253	116	145,348
	W9MYY		IL	139	1,183	121	143,143
  C	WB6IYS		CA	128	1,120	120	134,400
  C	W4VQ		FL	128	1,160	115	133,400
	KA3MMM		PA	107	1,211	101	122,311
  C	W8WVU		MI	112	1,114	104	115,856
	AB7RW		AZ	100	948	96	91,008
  C	KC4UG		AL	70	952	70	66,640
  C	KD8HB		OH	68	908	68	61,744
  C	WA3GNW		SC	75	835	68	56,780
	W8YL		MI	64	898	62	55,676
  C	K1BV		NH	112	579	88	50,952
  C	K0OAL		NE	80	612	78	47,736
	WA2MUA		NY	60	548	57	31,236
  C	WD3P		MD	44	450	44	19,800
P	VF2AWR		QUE	48	448	40	17,920
  C	AA4KD		VA	43	433	41	17,753
  C	K8KFJ		WV	45	395	44	17,380
  	N3TG		VA	58	352	48	16,896
	W8PN		OH	56	300	46	13,800
 	W3EYF		MD	32	396	32	12,672
 	W3EFY		PA	32	310	28	8,680
 C	N0WM		MO	33	271	32	8,672
	KR5C		TX	27	157	27	4,239
	W5NR		TX	16	170	15	2,550
	K6QWH		AZ	13	97	12	1,261

DX STATIONS
P	OK1KT   CZECH   	102	634	88	55,792
  C  	DL3DD   GERMANY	 44	338	41	13,858
  C	JA9CWJ  JAPAN	         9	121	 9	 1,089

P = PLAQUE
C = CERTIFICATE
* = CONTEST MANAGER VOLUNTARILY DECLINES AWARDS

CONTEST MANAGER COMMENTS:
  Another County Hunter Contest is history--it was lots of fun, as
usual!  Although we missed the added counties and excitement usually
provided by Hal, W1NN,  and Ed, KN4Y, we did get some unexpected (but
very welcome)  mobile operation from NG0T, KF9D, and K3ONW.  And some of
the regular mobiles showed up again to help with many counties around the
country.  Sadly, we still only managed half as many mobile counties as
last year  from submitted logs.  Not all mobiles submitted logs, so it's
not as bad as it looks.
  There was a good increase in fixed-station activity, which kept the
mobiles busy!  Even DX activity was the highest in a long time, which
might be encouraging for conditions next year!
   I would like to clarify a couple of rules:  (1)  A Mobile QSO for 15
points must be with a mobile in a USA County, such as W9MSE or VE2EM/M;
VA3XOV/M in Ontario is "just" a Fixed QSO.; (2)   Portable stations, such
 as WA2YSJ/2, are Fixed QSO's; and (3)  contacts are valid only between
stations in USA counties and everyone else.
     However, does anyone feel any mobile, anywhere in the world, should
be worth 15 points?  How about including portables for 15 points?
Portables would have to sign /P and activate more than one county (or a
county line).  They'd have to compete with mobiles for awards.
     I'm not aware of any problem with the CW and SSB contest being on
the same weekend; however, there may have been some confusion about when
the real SSB contest was scheduled.  If anyone has any reason to separate
them next year, please let me know.
     I plan to announce the results and post them to the web pages and on
the "chcontest" reflector after I notify the MARAC Awards Custodian of
the winners.  Results will be mailed (email or paper) to all who sent in
logs; plus other regulars who didn't.  Thanks to all who participated,
especially those who sent logs; and I hope everyone (Hal?) is scheduling
their personal/business lives better next year:  May 6/7 2000!

73, Norm, W3DYA
                                      - - - - - - - - - -

1999 MARAC (33RD) COUNTY HUNTERS CW CONTEST RESULTS - SOAPBOX
WC5D(Van):  One of these days...uh years, POW (paraphrase J. Gleason),
we're going to get the great propagation we deserve.  Sunday afternoon
condx opened up briefly.  Being able to work both coasts for more than an
hour or two would be nice.  Did manage several QSOs on 15M.  Number of
Fixed & Mobile QSOs exactly equal.  Always great to work so many
different mobile stations.  Thanks to all, FB job, as usual.  Worked
Jeff, W9MSE, the most.  Glad to hear so many fixed stations working the
mobiles as they entered every new county.  That keeps the party lively
and pumps up the mobile guys, too.  This year was my #32 entry out of 33
CW contests, with 23 in a row.  Obviously I wouldn't miss it.  One of
these days...
WA3HAE(Keith):  First time at trying this one.  Had a blast!  I can only
hope to do much better next year.  Need to find a logging program that
can handle this.  Paper just doesn't do it!!!
KO4PY(Brent):  I could only work one day, but it was fun.  Working condx
were from my house on Lake Gaston in Warren Co., NC.
K9WA(James):  Been a while since I entered this contest, but it was as
enjoyable as before.  Was nice to hear some familiar calls.  Managed to
work two new ones, which for me is not too bad needing only about 56 CW
only.  Band condx very bad here so had to work for whatever I got, but
had a good time....
W9MYY(Walt):  I had hoped to spend more time working the contest, but
Murphy's law kicked in and all sorts of problems developed here; such as,
plumbing problems, loss of phone service, etc.  But I did enjoy the hours
I was able to spend working the contest.
WB6IYS(Bill):  Didn't get much operating time in this year, but did get
three new ones thanks to W9MSE/M and NG0T/M.
KA3MMM(Elwood):  I was selfish this year getting counties instaed of
giving them.  But conditions to Texas were poor and couldn't hear W3DYA/M
most of the time.
KC4UG(Ken):  I did not hear anyone on 20 phone or 40 CW or phone;
operating "Fixed" in Lamar County, AL.
WA3GNW(Bruce):  I enjoyed working the mobiles.  W3DYA and Jeff, W9MSE/M,
kept people busy!
K1BY(Ted):  Amazingly poor condx - except for the devotion of a few great
mobile operations.
K0OAL(Tony):  FB Contest!  Good way to stay out of mischief!
WD3P(Larry):  Still fun, but I can't seem to find the time to do it
mobile!
VE2AWR(Serge):  Had planned to do the contest mobile, but XYL (VE2AZJ)
need the car, so...  Had a lot of fun working counties anyway!
K8KFJ(Garie):  This was my very first MARAC CH Contest, and I enjoyed it
very much.  I'll definitely be back next year when, hopefully, I'll have
more time to spend on the air.  This year, I just had no time for radio
on Saturday due to a prior commitment.  I thought all the mobile ops did
a truly great job....  They constantly amaze me with their operating
skills.  Someday I gotta try that HI!
W8PN(Hal):  Keep up the good work with the contest.  I know it's a lot of
work, but it sure is a fun contest.  It would be nice if MARAC could
scare up more activity like the PA QSO Party (Guess we'll have to sell
T-shirts and coffee mugs?  And I thought those nice plaques were gonna'
be enough!--Norm)
W3EYF(Don):  Time was limited.  I didn't hear W3EFY but I know he was in
there!  Had a good time for the little time I could spend.  Maybe better
next year.
W0GXQ(Jerry):  Sure had fun in the contest.  Made contact with you some
thirty times.
KR5C(George):  Sure weren't many mobiles.  Now much time to operate
either.
W5NR(Art):  Good party, but 14 Mhz was only band open here.  Hope to CU
all next party.
K6QWH(Howard):  Was away all weekend at a family reunion; couldn't get
out of it.  Got home for a fw minutes and worked a few and had an
appointment so had to leave.  I wanted to beat Carl, W9OO/K9CS, this
year, but didn't even get started.  Just thought I send this short log;
at least AZ got on the map.
OK1KT(Vrata):  Thanks for the nice contest which brought me at least 20
new counties; mainly thanks to the mobile activity.
DL3DD(Leo):  Find to meet you on 21 Mhz, worked only two stations there.
Condx better than last year, but not good.  It's a long time ago that I
worked a new county in the CH Contest.  Hope we meet again next year.
JA9CWJ(Yoshi):  I am glad to be able to participate in the contest after
a long interval.  See you next year!
W9MSE(Jeff):  It was a great contest, but we really missed Hal (W1NN) and
Ed (KN4Y).  We put on 1890 miles from when I left home Friday until I got
back Sunday night.  It was good to hear a couple of additional mobiles,
although often I could not hear them on 20M.  I made my first ever
contest contact on 15M (about three of them) but heard nothing on 80.
VE2EM(Andy):  Condx were fair to good.  There was also a good turnout
from both fixed and mobile stations.  I did miss the participation of Ed,
KN4Y.  (Probably not half as much as Ed missed participation!)
KF9D(Roger):  Thanks for all the fun in the MARAC CH Contest.  We
happened to be going on a family trip that weekend, so I decided to throw
the rig in the car and let my 17 year old drive the van while I operated.
 It was a lot of fun and made the time go by really quickly.  Plus I was
engrossed with the contest and didn't have time to keep telling my son to
slow down!

FOR THE RECORD - 1999

Below are scores of the top ten stations in each category of operation
for the 33 years of this contest through 1999.  Scores were adjusted
based on the pre-1996 scoring rules (3 points for mobiles and DX vs 15
and 5 points, respectively, beginning in 1996).

          MOBILE      PORTABLE(DISCONTINUED)           FIXED

1,548,572 K5LZO 1986	  486,780 WA4PGM 1984    1,528,065 K5ZD	 1986
  943,893 KB5FU 1986	  318,080 N4BP   1979    1,270,332 AI9X   1986
  788,840 N5JJ  1983	  309,690 K4PUZ  1972    1,028,456 N7TT   1986
  641,058 N5RM  1985	  220,869 K3KX   1975    1,024,002 K9BG   1983
  560,448 WC5D  1980   217,790 W7YS   1986      860,172 KC6CNV 1997
  543,382 N5JJ  1982   199,789 K9YR   1974      726,642 W1GNR  1983
  529,650 W9MSE 1997   197,580 AD9UKM 1976      671,590 KS7T	 1986
  516,266 KN4Y  1997   197,286 NX4C   1985      670,032 N7TT   1983
  488,195 N5RP  1985   171,602 NU4O   1986      649,722 W7GHT  1983
  478,080 W1NN  1997   164,772 K0MT   1979      628,575 W1GNR  1984

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com