[3830] ARRL SSB 1999, S50K 80M SOSB HP score

Marko Munih marko at robo.fe.uni-lj.si
Sun Mar 7 14:25:32 EST 1999

                   ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST  1998

      Call: S50K                     Country:  SLO
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS    STATES/PROV

      160        0        0           0
       80      620     1860          42
       40        0        0           0
       20        0        0           0
       15        0        0           0
       10        0        0           0
     -----------------------------------

     Totals    620     1860          42  =   78,120

Equipment Description:
TS950SDX, Alpha 99D, 3el Force 12 yagi @ 45m high

Club Affiliation: Contest Club Slovenia

Thanks to Tine, S50A, I was able to operate 80m band in the
ARRL contest after a long period of time. Working on 80m SSB
is pain for itself, but good antenna attracted my attention.

Short highlights:

Experienced some 'nice' Eu operating habits propagated in other part of
the world. First night I had clear spot until HU4A at 3.30 steal
my frequency without taking care. Then I was not able to find
proper channel for an hour or so. The same happened second morning
with KP2Z. Being now prepared and with luck in finding new clear
frequency this does not cut nearly any time. The second night was
also blessed with occasional snow storms bringing over +20dB of noise.
Without any special receiving antennas, I was then listening on
low 160m dipole with one side lied on the ground. Not without noise,
but much better. Due to that I also missed small west coast
oppening in sunday sunrise time encountered at 9A1A location 100km away.
My appologies to all stations, which I was not able to hear.
Several times I was warned by strong
US stations about pile-up happening underway, but static noise
was simply too high to copy even the strogest.

With K at 5 and busy day tommorow I am leaving out few evening hours.
Congratulations to John at OT8T with better receiving pipe toward NW.
Hearing better (in such weather) would be THE key to make score higher.

Marko, S50K

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com