[3830] WPX SSB - K7BV SB 15M (Some babble)

K7bv at aol.com K7bv at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 17:12:33 EST 1999

WPX SSB 99   K7BV
Single Band 15 Meters - Operating from K6IDX CA QTH on the hilltop

Operating time - 24:15 (yes-that is all a CW kinda guy can tolerate)

QSO     Mults      Score
1507      622        2,494,842

By Continent
NA            281 -  The 7el KLM is WAY too high for such things
SA             11  - Okay! So I left the one beam on EU or Asia all the
time...
EU            554 - Saturday great-Sunday tougher but fantastic to have EU
back
AS            630 - Every 3watt JA now has CA on 15
OC             61 - One ZL!  Never heard so many YB/Cs before

Highlights:
After SS Phone, I promised myself I would never operate a Phone contest again
without a DVK - I lied BUT I REALLY mean now!
Brad K6IDX may have the distinction of having assembled the worst intra-
country station on the West Coast - they just aren't there to be heard/worked.
The antenna thinks it is on top a several hundred foot tower from that
mountain top.
Thank you Mr.Sun for low A index and quiet conditions most of the weekend -
one could hear a pin drop on 15 meters for many hours.
My own personal VU pile-up (0305Z) - 2 VUs does count as a pile-up, doesn't
it? (Total of 3-VUs for the contest was a new record for me from any place I
have operated from around the world.)
Fantastic after-dark openings into deep Asia & Indian Ocean area (VQ9 at
0400Z). Wonderful to hear 3W, HS, JT active along with the ever-increasing
numbers of Korean stations.  Literally worked more China YL operators than OMs
- now THAT is a trend worthy of note!

See ya all from OH0Z WPX CW
73 Dennis K7BV

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com