[3830] W0TM WPX SSB SO AB HP unassisted

gyantis at midtec.com gyantis at midtec.com
Mon Mar 29 19:47:39 EST 1999

                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: W0TM   Country/State: United States/Colorado
      Mode: SSB    Category: Single Operator, High Power
                             All Band, Unassisted
      Hours: 28
      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES
      160           0             0          0.0        0
       80          36           83          2.3       13
       40          53         293          5.5       27
       20        493        1214         2.5      203
       15        884        2158         2.4      366
       10        191          494         2.6       92
     --------------------------------------
     Totals   1657         4242        2.6      701  =   2,973,642

Equipment Description: FT-1000MP, Alpha 91B, KLM KT34XA,
                       KLM 2 element 40 meter beam

Comments:  Everything working perfectly three hours before the
           contest was not a good sign.  Two hours before the contest
           the weather changed and it starting snowing.  The power station
           several miles away toward JA that only puts out line noise
           when it snows burst forth with S9 line noise.  That dashed my
           hopes of starting the contest with a long JA run on 15 meters.
           Saturday morning the wind picked up and S9 snow static started.
           My apologies to all the Europeans who thought I was deaf.  By
           Sunday morning the weather had cleared and at 7 AM and I
           was ready for a long run of Europeans.  At 7:01 the power went
           out.  The power company told me later a bird got into a circuit
           breaker on a major line.  After power was restored at noon I
           kept the rate meter around 150 for the next two hours.  How
           much did I miss Sunday morning?  I don't want to know.  Anyway,
           I'll have my standby generator ready for CW WPX just in case!

Club Affiliation: Grand Mesa Contestors

           Signature: Gary Yantis (signed)

               MAILING ADDRESS:
               Gary Yantis, W0TM      gyantis at midtec.com
               P.O. Box 97            1-800-844-8960
               Wolcott, CO 81655

@9,000 feet 20 miles west of Vail, Colorado
For pictures of my station, my antennas and the Colorado mountains please
visit my website  http://www.midtec.com/w0tm.htm

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com