[3830] WQ5L WPX CW SO/AB/LP

Ray Rocker rocker at ametro.net
Mon May 31 04:37:27 EDT 1999

WQ5L (@ N5FG) SO/LP WPX score:

Band    QSOs    Pts      Antenna
160CW     0       0      None
80CW      0       0      Inverted V @ 60'
40CW    344    1242      2 el @ 80'
20CW    906    2332      5 el @ 70', 3 el @ 50'
15CW    550    1389      3 el @ 50'
10CW     35      99          "
All    1835    5062 x 655 mults == 3,315,610 claimed score

Radio: FT-1000 (set for 100W)
Operating time: 35:58

Personal goal was to break 2M points. Guess I underestimated
the power of Old Sol.

This is the first time I used the PC and TRLog for the keying.
I think the memory keyer will get a nice comfy place in the
closet from here on.

Best runs of the contest, EU and JA both, were between midnight
and sunrise Sunday on 20. Love that summertime propagation!

Every bit of my off time was taken during daylight: approx.
1600-2000Z Sat, 1100-1900Z Sun. Several reasons for this:

* 20 and 15 open all night
* Lightning forced the issue both days
* I normally sleep during the daytime anyway

Taking off all morning Sunday was a tough choice, maybe a dumb one,
but on Saturday I had much better luck in the afternoon than morning,
especially on 15m. I had to save a long nap time for Sunday since
there was a hockey game (ECHL championship game 7) one hour after
the contest which I simply was not going to miss.

For the record, I did visit 80m once, around 0930Z Sunday.
There was not a single signal audible through the QRN,
not even stateside.

IARU contest this year sure should be fun.

Ray Rocker   WQ5L
rocker at ametro.net

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com