[3830] AA5AU CQWW99 Phone SOAB Assisted Claimed Score

Don Hill aa5au@msn.com
Mon Nov 1 03:48:49 EST 1999

500 Q's & half a million points from an operator that hates
Silly Side Band is not too shabby.  It's because the software
(WriteLog) is so cool you just can't resist having fun with it.
I've been a ham for 28 years and an avid contester for most of
that time, neglecting phone because of all that splatter and
screaming into the microphone is not too good on the ears.

I had several goals in the limited time I was able to operate.
One was to work 100 countries overall, did that alone on 10M.
Decided to try to do it on 15M but came up short.  Tried to do
500k points and made that.  Wanted to work all 40 zones but
missed 22 & 26 although I heard both, just couldn't break the
piles.

My 40 & 80M antennas are tuned for the RTTY & CW bands
so didn't do much there, but 10 & 15 were excellent.  I never
called CQ at any time.  I used the bandmap feature of WriteLog
and clicked to each station for a QSO.  I'm looking forward to
the CW portion where I might try a full time effort.  Amateur
radio contesting is a sport that will survive afterall.  It was sure
evident this weekend.

1999
CQ World-Wide DX Contest Phone Contest

CALL: AA5AU
CLASS:  Single Op, All Band, Assisted (high power)
Zone:  04

QSOs QSO points Zones Countries Multipliers Score
160m:     0      0       0       0
80m:     0        0       0       0
40m:     37      86     14     27
20m:     75      204    26    57
15m:     139    395    30     89
10m:     256     730   31    117

Totals:   507   1415 x  391 = 553265

Claimed score = 553,265

Equipment:  Kenwood TS-870 with SB-200 amp at about
300 watts.  Antenna was an A3S tribander with the 40M
add-on kit at 62 feet (used only one antenna the entire contest).

Thanks to all that worked me.

73, Don AA5AU